Life is quite hectic these days. Lots of kids school activities, meetings, kids sports games, many errands to run, church services, …etc, you name it.
Having a nice lunch for myself sounds like a luxury and I only had 10 minutes to spare for my lunch today before I had to head out. …5 minutes to cook and 5 minutes to eat.
If you find yourself in the same shoes like mine some days, try this super quick to prepare rice dish.
I will call it Express Egg Rice because I can’t think of anything else. This was the rice dish I often ate in my college life when my budget on food was hitting the bottom, or I just didn’t even have time to go out for a drive through.
In my house, we always have bags of individual serving amount of leftover rice in the freezer. I just reheat 1 serving in the microwave.
Then break up the egg whites to small pieces and start mixing with rice to combine all the goodness.
I know. I can see your face with eyebrows tilting up. Yes, there is nothing much to it, but trust me. It is really good.
The mellow flavor of soy sauce with butter and fragrant sesame oil gets mixed with a fried egg? Try and it will become your routine.
I literally had to swallow the entire bowl after I took these photos and headed out to door to run for the next errands.
Being a busy mom of two kids and a wife of one man is a privilege and I enjoy every moment to be part of their lives.
Life is great. Hope yours is the same.
- 1 egg
- a little oil to fry egg
- 1 serving of warm cooked rice, about ¾ cup
- ½ tablespoon (or less) butter
- 2-3 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat oil in the skillet and fry an egg until the white is cooked and the yolk is still runny.
- Place heated rice in a bowl and drop a slice of butter on top.
- Place the fried egg on top of rice and drizzle soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
- To serve, crack the yolk and break the whites into small chunks with a spoon. Mix everything with the rice in the bowl and serve.