Homemade Gochujang Sauce Recipe
Use this homemade gochujang sauce recipe to dress up many Korean dishes like bibimbap or Korean BBQ. It’s also great for grilled fish, pork, chicken and vegetable. Korean gochujang sauce makes a great dipping sauce as well. No cooking required!
Korean chili paste (gochujang) is an essential condiment in Korean cuisine. This slightly sweet and spicy paste has a bold taste. But Korean gochujang is not limited in adding a heat to the dish only.
Gochujang can turn your ordinary dish into something extra ordinary. It opens up a whole new culinary experience. No wonder why so many people are crazy about Korean gochujang sauce.
What is gochujang sauce?
Gochujang sauce is basically a doctored-up Korean chili paste sauce with the extra ingredients like fruits, sugar, and garlic to enhance the flavor. You will find gochujang sauce in Korean bibimbap, many rice dishes, cold noodle dishes, such as nangmyeon. You can also use it as a marinade for meat and seafood like Korean BBQ, or dipping sauce for vegetables.
You can buy a seasoned gochujang sauce in a bottle at the store, but try making homemade gochujang sauce at home. It is very easy to make and tastes so much better.
I often make this sauce in a large amount and store in the refrigerator. It can last up to one month and even longer if well stored. That way you don’t have to make the sauce every time you crave those dishes. It saves your cooking time and less dishes to wash. How divine!
What is gochujang sauce used for
There are so many gochujang sauce uses. Here are a few ideas.
- Topping sauce – It’s great to use as bibimbap sauce, or sauce for a rice bowl dish and cold noodles.
- Dipping sauce – gochujang dipping sauce is great for fresh or steamed vegetables
- Korean BBQ marinade – Try this Korean BBQ sauce gochujang to marinade meats. Try my chicken bulgogi or pork bulgogi with this sauce.
- Sauce for grilled fish.
- Or drizzle over plain rice – mix and serve.
Gochujang Sauce Ingredients
- gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Korean pear (Asian pear) – or bosc pear
- sweet apple
- lemon juice
- sesame seeds – toasted
- corn syrup
- gochugaru (Korean chili flakes)
How to make Gochujang Sauce
Grate the apple and pear and mix with Korean chili paste (gochujnag) in a small mixing bowl.
Add garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, lemon juice, toasted sesame seeds and corn syrup.
Add Korean chili flakes. These chili flakes will add extra spiciness. If you prefer s milder gochujang sauce, you can omit the chili flakes.
Mix all together and your gochujang sauce is ready to go.
Create something gorgeous with this delicious sauce. Try this sauce with cold vermicelli or noodles. You will taste the coolness of simple Korean noodles!
Yes, it is definitely spicy! But it is a small price to pay to indulge in delicious Korean food, right?
How to store gochujang sauce
Store gochujang sauce in the refrigerator all the time. It should last up to 4 weeks. Freezing is not recommended.
More Homemade Korean Sauce For Korean Dishes
Homemade Gochujang Sauce Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients. in a small mixing; mix well.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator. It can last up to one month. This gochujang sauce makes about 1 cup.