Korean Ground Beef Bulgogi Bowl
This Korean ground beef recipe makes satisfying ground beef bulgogi within 20 minutes. You get to enjoy authentic taste of Korean beef bowl without marinating the beef for a long time. This crispy, savory dish is a perfect quick and budget-friendly dinner option!
Korean Beef Bowl made with Ground Beef
If you are looking for a good Asian bowl of beef and rice, add this Korean ground beef recipe to your repertoire. It transforms a pound of ground beef into a healthy Korean beef and rice bowl in no time.
Traditional sliced beef bulgogi requires a long marinating time and needs some prep work before you start cooking. It makes a wonderful Korean beef dish, no doubt.
However, if you are in a time crunch, but need something quick to feed yourself and your family, this recipe will come to the rescue. It’s healthy, if using lean ground beef, and affordable– a perfect budget Asian meal. Use this ground beef bulgogi as a topping, especially for an easy bibimbap recipe.
If you would like another quick bulgogi dish with a western twist, try my Philly style bulgogi cheesesteak. It’s quick, delicious, and everyone would love it.
Use of ground beef bulgogi recipe
This simple Korean ground beef and rice bowl is a time-saving solution for preparing various Korean dishes.
- Bibimbap (Korean mixed rice with ground beef and vegetables): Substitute the classic bulgogi with this ground beef recipe. It’s easier to mix and blends well with other vegetables, resulting in a better taste and texture.
- Kimbap (Korean seaweed rice roll): Korean ground beef works wonderfully as a filling for delicious bulgogi kimbap.
- Rice balls: Mix this Korean bbq ground beef with leftover rice to create satisfying snacks or appetizers in no time.
What to eat with ground beef bulgogi
- Rice or noodle – If you want to serve this recipe as a Korean beef rice bowl, cooked rice is a must, of course. But plain noodles or soba noodles also make a nice accompaniment for this Korean beef bowl.
- Kimchi – if you love kimchi and have a jar of kimchi in your refrigerator, it makes a great meal together.
- Try my easy vegan kimchi recipe if you prefer mild flavored kimchi.
- Vegetable – Use any vegetable of your choice. Steamed broccoli, zucchini, or green beans go particularly well with this beef recipe.
- Simple Korean side dishes – If you want to stretch your savory muscles a bit, try my Korean cucumber salad, soybean sprout side dish, and spinach side dish. They are all quick to make, within 15 minutes, and each makes a wonderful one dish meal.
- Ground beef – Opt for a leaner cut like 90% for your Korean ground beef recipe, ensuring a healthier option without compromising on the rich, meaty flavors.
- Onion and garlic: Aromatic essentials. They form a flavor foundation that’s crucial for creating a Korean beef bowl.
- Green onion – An optional garnish
For the bulgogi sauce
- Soy sauce: Essential to any Korean bbq recipe, soy sauce imparts the savory depth that is characteristic of Korean cuisine, setting the stage for a delectable ground beef bulgogi.
- Sugar: Sweetens the soy sauce base, creating a balanced and rich sauce that complements the savory notes in your Korean beef bowl.
- Sweet rice wine (mirin): A staple in Korean BBQ recipes, mirin enhances the sauce with a mild sweetness and a glossy finish, perfect for coating each strand of ground beef.
- Sesame oil: For that unmistakable scent and flavor that you find in authentic Korean beef dishes, sesame oil offers a smoky richness that’s essential for a genuine Korean food experience.
- Pepper: A pinch of pepper adds a slight kick, which subtly elevates the meat’s taste.
- Sesame seeds: Added as a garnish, sesame seeds not only provide a pleasant crunch but also intensify the sesame flavor throughout the dish.
How to make Korean ground beef bulgogi
Step 1. Whisk all the bulgogi sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until soft, about 1-2 minutes.
Step 3. Add ground beef and cook until beef is browned and fully cooked.
Step 4. Pour the sauce mixture over the beef and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer until it is heated through and the sauce reduces, about 1-2 minutes.
Step 5. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds, if desired. Serve immediately.
How to serve Korean ground beef bowl
Alternatively, create a classic Korean beef bowl by heaping the savory ground beef over rice in a generous bowl, paired with your choice of fresh vegetables or a side of kimchi. Complement this dish with an assortment of traditional Korean side dishes for a complete, flavor-packed meal.
Adaptation Tip! Did you realize that this crispy Korean ground beef is the perfect stuffing for quesadillas? Combine it with a cheese of your choice that melts well, toss in some fragrant cilantro for an aromatic lift, and you’ve got yourself a fantastic Mexican-Korean fusion dish. It’s a versatile recipe that works wonderfully as a snack or a full meal!
Storage and Reheating tip
Store leftover beef in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also freeze it in a freezer-safe zip bag for up to 3 months. To reheat, either microwave to heat through or cook in a skillet with a little bit of oil over the stove top.
More popular Korean dishes
Don’t miss out these famous Korean dishes. You can make these recipes easily at home.
- Korean Fried Chicken Recipe
- Easy Japchae (Korean Glass Noodles)
- 20-Minute Tteokbokki (Spicy Korean Rice Cake)
- Kimbap (Korean Seaweed Rice Roll)
- Beef Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
- Hotteok Recipe (Korean Sweet Pancake)
Korean Ground Beef Bulgogi Bowl
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef, preferably 90% lean
- 2 green onion , finely chopped, optional
- Mix all the bulgogi sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until soft, about 1-2 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until beef is browned and fully cooked.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the beef and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer until it is heated through and the sauce reduces, about 2 minutes. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds, if desired. Serve immediately.