I love tofu and I hope you do, too.
This has to be one of my favorite tofu dish.
Partnered with mellow radish and a little bit of chopped shrimp, I don’t need anything else on my table to finish out a bowl of rice if I have this.
With a good source of soy protein, calcium, and vitamins from the radish, you have quite a nutritious dish that screams to be Korean.
This is slightly spicy but not overly so. Adjust the amount of chili flakes depending on the spiciness your tongue can handle.
Cut tofu into 1/2″ thick slices.
oil in the non-stick surfaced skillet over medium heat.
Press each slice with a paper towel to absorb some water.
Sear the tofu slices for 5 minutes on each side. You will get golden crusts like these.
Meanwhile, slice the radish (preferably Korean, but daikon radish will do the job) into 1/4″ thick.
Slice an onion, too.
In a shallow pot or a skillet, spread onion and radish on the bottom and place tofu slices on top.
Cut shrimps into small chunks, or use tiny whole shrimps.
Throw them on top. Do you see some wicked orangesh-shells?
They are shrimp heads. You don’t need to add them.
When I buy whole shelled shrimps, I save the heads and shells in the freezer to make stock with or to boost the flavor in some dishes.
Here are the real staff that makes this dish rise above. Left to right…
Korean soy sauce for soup, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, pepper, and minced garlic.
Mix them all together, and add a little water.
Drizzle over everything.
Cover with a lid and bring to boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
I like to add some sliced green chili, but you don’t need to. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
You can remove the shrimp heads, if using, at this point.
When radishes are chopstick tender, then it is done. (Poke radish with a chopstick to test)
The sauce tastes divine, so drizzle it over the tofu when you serve.
The best part of food blogging?
You get to eat what you created.
I am a eating tofu radish surprise,
and it is p-r-e-t-t-y good.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Press each tofu slice with paper towel and add to the hot skillet. Sear for 5 minutes on each side until golden crust forms. Remove the tofu from the skillet.
- Add the radish and onion on the bottom of shallow pan or skillet and place tofu on top. Scatter the shrimps over.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the rest of the ingredients except the green chili. Drizzle the sauce over the tofu mixture in the pan. Cover with a lid and bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes over low heat.
- Add the green chili, if using, and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. When the radish is nice and tender, it is done.
- Drizzle the sauce over to tofu and radish when you serve. Serve warm with rice.