Korean Braised Tofu and Radish
Braised tofu is a popular Korean tofu dish. The thick slice of tofu is simmered in a spicy chili sauce. The chopped shrimps adds a nice flavor to the dish.
I love tofu and I hope you do, too.
This has to be one of my favorite tofu dish. Partnered with mellow radish and a little bit of chopped shrimp, I don’t need anything else on my table to finish out a bowl of rice if I have this.
With a good source of soy protein, calcium, and vitamins from the radish, you have quite a nutritious dish that screams to be Korean. This is slightly spicy but not overly so. Adjust the amount of chili flakes depending on the spiciness your tongue can handle.
How to make Braised Tofu and Radish
- Cut tofu into 1/2″ thick slices. Oil in the non-stick surfaced skillet over medium heat. Press each slice with a paper towel to absorb some water.
- Sear the tofu slices for 5 minutes on each side. You will get golden crusts like these.
- In a shallow pot or a skillet, spread onion and radish on the bottom and place tofu slices on top. Add shrimp pieces on top.
- Mix Korean soy sauce for soup, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, pepper, and minced garlic. Add a little water and drizzle the sauce over tofu and radish. Cover with a lid and bring to boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Add some sliced green chili and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. When radishes are chopstick tender, then it is done. (Poke radish with a chopstick to test) The sauce tastes divine, so drizzle it over the tofu when you serve.
Korean Braised Tofu and RadishBraised tofu is a popular Korean tofu dish. The thick slice of tofu is simmered in a spicy chili sauce. The chopped shrimps adds a nice flavor to the dish
- 8 oz firm tofu, slice into 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 oz radish, slice into 1/4-inch thick
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 oz shrimp, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon Korean soup soy sauce (gukganjang)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili flakes (gochugaru)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- dashes black pepper
Did you make this recipe?Tag @beyondkimchee on Instagram. I love to see your masterpiece.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Press each tofu slice with paper towel and add to the hot skillet. Sear for 5 minutes on each side until golden crust forms. Remove the tofu from the skillet.
- Add the radish and onion on the bottom of shallow pan or skillet and place tofu on top. Scatter the shrimps over.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the rest of the ingredients except the green chili. Drizzle the sauce over the tofu mixture in the pan. Cover with a lid and bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes over low heat.
- Add the green chili, if using, and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. When the radish is nice and tender, it is done.
- Drizzle the sauce over to tofu and radish when you serve. Serve warm with rice.