Korean potato side dish called “gamja jorim, 감자조림” would be one of the easiest side dish (banchan, 반찬) you can make. It is quick to make with only a few ingredients and tastes great. Gamja jorim was one of my favorite side dish when I was kid and I still love it.
You will need to soak the cubed potato in the water to get rid of some of its starch.
Mix soy sauce, rice syrup (or corn syrup), and water.
Combine the potato, sauce, and a piece of dried sea kelp. Bring to a gentle boil and cook. You will need to remove the sea kelp after 2 minutes.
The dried sea kelp will add the very nice flavor to the dish.
Reduce the heat to med-low and continue to simmer to soften the potato and thicken the sauce, about 5-7 minutes. I added a fresh green chili to give a little spicy kick to my potato side dish. You don’t need to.
When the sauce is thickened and the potatoes are tender, it is done. Don’t overcook the potatoes. It will get mushy and break easily if you overcook them.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds.
Here we go, the Korean potato side dish, gamja jorim! This lovely Korean banchan(반찬) is surely pleasing to anyone who enjoys Korean food. If you like all sorts of Korean side dishes, you should try this gamja jorim.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 lb yukon potato, peeled
- 1 small piece dried sea kelp
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons rice or corn syrup
- 6 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Cube the potato into 1/2-inch and soak them in the cold water for 10 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, syrup, and water; Mix well.
- Drain the potato and combine with the sauce in a skillet. Add the dried sea kelp and bring them to boil. Stir occasionally. Remove the sea kelp after 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to med-low and continue to simmer to thicken the sauce, about 5-7 minutes. Once the sauce is thicken and potatoes are tender, remove the skillet from the heat and sprinkle the sesame seeds. Serve warm, cooled or chilled. Store in the fridge up to one week.