Have you ever felt that you are mostly unnoticed among multitude? You feel like there’s nothing special about you that makes you stand out.
You just don’t have that talent, the look, the charisma, or whatever
that Mr/Mrs Perfect has. Or you do have something but no one seems to be interested in?
So, you feel down…, discouraged? Well, think again! Each of us has amazing potential to become someone whom we are dreaming of.
And sometimes, the ugliest duckling can turn into the prettiest swan just like a fairy tale. Here is the story of one lonely potato…
I had this one potato sitting lonely on my counter for a few days. No one in my house noticed he was there. He just looks plain old boring.
There is nothing flash about him based on his look. If I did not know what potatoes could become, I would probably have him thrown away.
But I believed that this ugly duckling has a tremendous potential to become something great,
You need to slice him thinly first and cut into 1/8″ thick sticks.
So they don’t stick to each other later on by removing some of the starch.
Drain him well.
Chop up one garlic. She will be his fragrance.
Add garlic and stir for 5 seconds.
Dump the potatoes and stir-fry to coat garlic all around him.
Cover the lid and cook for 1- 2 minutes.
If he is not done, cook for 1-2 more minutes on and off with lid. Adjust amount of salt as you like.
He will be a great side dish to any meal.
Pan Fried Potatoes (gamja bokkeum)
- One large baking potato such as Russet potato
- 1 T grape seed oil or canola oil
- 1 small garlic chopped
- dashes of kosher or sea salt
- dashes of pepper
- 1 t roasted sesame seeds
- Peel off the skin from the potato. You can keep the skin on if you like. Rub the skin with brush to clean. Slice the potato in to 1/8" thick and cut into 1/8" sticks.
- Rinse the potatoes in the water and soak them in a bowl filled with water for 2 minutes to remove some starches. Drain the potatoes and set a side.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir it for 5 seconds. Add potatoes and stir them well to coat with garlic. Cover with lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and cook 1-2 more minute without the lid. Taste the potatoes if they are soft. If not, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes with the lid on and off.
- When potatoes are tender with a little body, sprinkle some sesame seeds and pepper. Toss gently
- Serve warm or on room temperature.