Then why do I call it Korean?
Well…, because I had this kind of potato salad only in Korean restaurants and I always loved it. Velvety smooth mashed potatoes with crunch vegetables and hint of sweetness coming from the honey and raisins, this Korean Potato Salad was just perfect to top on my toasts for a simple lunch.
Be creative with what you can add to the salad for your liking. It will make a wonderful finger food to any gatherings. See how pretty they look…!
Voila! That was easy! Look how pretty that is, totally Gangnam style…!
Recently my family has been enjoying the “Gangnam Style” music video by K-pop singer Psy.
(Gangnam is popular shopping and entertainment area of Seoul)
Yeah, my little daughter is getting pretty good at the funny horse dance now.
I call her, “Eunni(언니) Gangnam style!” ㅋㅋ 🙂
Hope you can give this Korean Potato Salad a try.
Have a fabulous weekend, …with the *Gangnam style*!!!
- 1 lb (450g) potatoes (yukon or russet)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced in half lengthwise and seeded
- 1/3 cup red pepper minced
- 1/3 cup ham chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, optional
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoon plain yogurt (Greek style preferred)
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- dashes white pepper, optional
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until fork tender and let them cool and peel off the skim, set aside.
- Cut the cucumber to 2-3 sections and slice each log into thin strips, sprinkle a few pinches of salt over and toss together. Set a side for 15 minutes to withdraw moisture. Rinse once and squeeze out the water. Chop them finely into small chunks. Set aside.
- Chop egg whites into small pieces. Reserve yolks.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, honey and salt & pepper, mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl mash the potatoes briefly, add the cucumber pieces, ham, red pepper, egg white pieces, and the raisins. Pour the dressing over and mix well with a spatula. Chill your salad.
- In a coarse mesh strainer, place the reserved egg yolks and press them down with a spoon. You will get the yellow egg yolk crumbs.
- Place the salad in the serving platter and spoon over the yolk crumbs all over.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.