Creamy Potato Salad
Creamy potato salad is a dreamy side dish for any summer BBQ and potluck party. Tender and flaky potato chunks, crunchy bites of fresh celery, and crisp bacon pieces are covered in creamy salad dressing. Don’t miss out the fresh herb!
If you are look-out for a good potato salad to go with your summer BBQ, stop right here. This creamy potato salad recipe might be the one you are looking for.
Tender flaky potato cubes, crisp bacon, and crunchy bites of fresh celery are all mingled in creamy salad dressing. The combination of mayonnaise, sour cream and heavy cream with apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard is just the right touch to dress up.
The addition of fresh dills are not to be missed here. Of course, every ingredient that goes into this salad takes their pride to make it special. Therefore, I would not miss out anything that goes into this creamy potato salad.
Recipe Tips for Best Creamy Potato Salad
Choose your potatoes wisely.
I highly recommend to use Yukon potato. Their rich and creamy texture goes really well in this salad with the creamy dressing. You can use the red potatoes, too, but I personally don’t like to bite on potato skins so much. Therefore it is my personal choice to use Yukon potato that has been peeled.
Use fresh herbs – dills.
Summer herbs are abundant and easily found. Fresh dills brings the flavor and the fragrance to this dish. It also adds a fresh presentation and the look of this salad and I would not omit it.
Want a creamy potato salad? Add heavy cream.
The addition of cream in the dressing makes this salad so creamy and tasty. You can substitute with half and half, but the creaminess might not be the same.
Mayonnaise or sour cream?
You can use either one of your choice, but I like to use both. You can adjust the amount of each depends on what you prefer.
Creamy Potato Salad Cooking Instructions
Peel and slice the potatoes anyway you like. I sliced them into disks this time. You can dice into chunks if that’s what you prefer.
Cook them in boiling water with some salt until just tender Do not overcook. Otherwise the potatoes will get mushy. Drain the potato and set aside.
Combine all the dressing ingredients. Chop celery, green onion, and dill.
Put the potatoes in a large mixing bowl along with the other ingredients. Add the dressing and toss gently to coat evenly. It is the best to serve this salad cold. So chill the potato salad for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
Garnish with crispy bacon on top if you wish. Enjoy!
Check out other potato recipes
- German Potato Bread (Stays Fresh For 5 Days)
- Korean Pan-Fried Potatoes (Gamja Bokkeum)
- Pakistani Potato Cakes (Aloo Tikki)
Creamy Potato Salad
- 2.2 lb Yukon potato, peeled and diced
- 2-3 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill , chopped
- 3 tbsp sweet relish
- 4 strips bacon, cooked to crisp and chopped
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 5 tbsp heavy cream , or half and half
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cover the potatoes with water in a pot and bring to boil over med-high heat; cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potato and set aside.
- For the dressing, combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl; mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, celery, green onion, dill, and the relish. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently with a spoon to coat evenly.
- Chill the salad in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle the bacon on top when you serve. You can store the salad in the fridge up to 5 days in the fridge.
Not my go to site for potato salad, but this was really good.
This recipe is a keeper. Made this salad 2 times within a week. So easy and delicious. ^o^
Definitely a timely post! It’s grilling season here, and we’re serving potato salad all the time. Yours looks wonderful — thanks.
So creamy and so very yummy…you are right, this is indeed a perfect bbq side dish.