Flavor packed simple avocado cilantro pesto is perfect to toss with pasta or spread to bread. The addition of jalopeno, lime juice, and almond makes this sauce extraordinary tasty.
I used to hate avocados. I didn’t understand why some people were crazy about them. I almost threw up when I first tasted them. They were mushy and couldn’t stand the raw flavor. The same goes to the cilantro as well. The fragrance was too strong, that I felt like it overpowered the entire dish when I tried it first.
Taste bud changes, I guess. I now enjoy avocados more than I need to, and I can’t get enough of cilantro. Funny, isn’t it?
I made this avocado cilantro pesto sauce, and it turned out really well. If you have some well ripen avocado, cilantro, jaloeño, almonds, lime juice, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil, you can make the exotic pesto sauce within 5 minutes in a food processor. Life can’t be any easier than that.
Ingredients you will need
- jalopeño pepper
- lime juice
- extra virgin olive oil
- grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
How to make Avocado Cilantro Pesto Sauce
Process almond in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add avocado. cilantro, jalopeno pepper, lime juice, olive oil and process until creamy.
Add grated Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
Add hot pasta (I used spaghetti noodles) and toss well. That’s it! Add more Parmesan cheese when you serve if you wish, and enjoy the extraordinary flavor of this amazing pesto.
How to store Avocado Cilantro Pesto
If you are not using the sauce immediately, put the sauce in an airtight container or jar. Drizzle olive oil on top of the sauce and cover. Chill it in the fridge and use within 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
More Pasta Recipes I like
- Pasta with Garlic, Anchovy, and Basil
- Ragu Bolognese Sauce, The Classic Recipe
- Baked Pasta with Ricotta and Roasted Vegetables
- 3 Easy Canned Tuna Pasta
Avocado Cilantro Pesto Sauce
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 avocado peeled and seeded
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 1/2 jalopeño pepper seeded
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-3 pinches pepper
- 4 servings cooked pasta (I used spaghetti)
- In a food processor, pulse almond a few times until they become coarsely chopped.
- Add avocado, cilantro, jalopeño, and lime juice. Blend smooth as you pour in the olive oil in a processor.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Toss with cooked pasta and serve immediately.