Thanksgiving is coming near and everyone will be busy getting ready for the holiday season soon after. So here is Ham and Cheese Pastry Puffs that can be put together quickly to impress your house guests (if they are visiting) in the morning.
I used store-bought deli ham but any leftover ham or turkey slices from your Thanksgiving meal would work great with this recipe. You can also use your favorite type of melt-able cheese to match.
The addition of your household spice blend sprinkled on top of these pastries make them very unique and gourmet-ish.
This recipe is adapted from The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook.
Actually, you want to preheat the oven first. 400 degree F or 200 degree C
Note: If you are using store bought deli ham or turkey slices, omit the salt in the spice blend. I don’t think it is necessary.
Sorry for the blurry picture. When I am hungry, I tend to take pictures too up-close and personal.
I used white cheddar cheese. Provolone or Swiss cheese would be a great option, too.
Simple food, simple life.., yup! that’s what I am longing for this week.
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastries, thawed
- 8 ham or turkey slics
- 8 cheddar, Swiss, or provolone cheese slices
- egg wash (1egg + 1 tablespoon water)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC)
- Cut the thawed pastries into 4 squares, lay hand and cheese diagonally.
- Sprinkle a little spice blend over, and fold two side corners to the center and pinch together to secure.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bush the pastries with egg wash and sprinkle more spice blend.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.