These ham and cheese pastry puffs are great for savory breakfast or finger food. The spice mixture adds extra flavor to these delicious pastry. Store-bought puff pastry comes in handy for this recipe.
Ham and Cheese! The staple items in everyone’s kitchen across the nation. I bet you have a packet or two sitting in your fridge now. Try these ham and cheese pastry puffs for a savory breakfast or finger food for a party.
Thanksgiving is coming near and everyone will be busy getting ready for the holiday season soon after. So here is Ham and Cheese Pastry Puffs that can be put together quickly to impress your house guests (if they are visiting) in the morning.
I used store-bought deli ham but any leftover ham or turkey slices from your Thanksgiving meal would work great with this recipe. You can also use your favorite type of melt-able cheese to match.
These pastry puffs are not only limited for the savory breakfast. They can turn into a great finger food to any party as well.
The addition of your household spice blend sprinkled on top of these pastries make them very unique and gourmet-ish.
This recipe is adapted from the back in the day bakery cookbook.
First, gather up all the spices from your pantry and line them up. Preheat the oven to 400˚F or 200˚C.
Mix each portion in a small bowl. The amount will be more than enough for 8 pastries.
Note: If you are using store bought deli ham or turkey slices, omit the salt in the spice blend. I don’t think it is necessary.
Here are the rest of the ingredients. Frozen puff pastry, ham (I used black forest), and cheese.
Unfold the thawed pastry sheet and cut into 4 squares.
Place a slice of ham and cheese on top diagonally.
I used white cheddar cheese. Provolone or Swiss cheese would be a great option, too.
Sprinkle a little bit of the spice blend on top.
Bring the two side corners and pinch them to stick together.
Place the pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with egg wash.
Sprinkle a little more spice blend on top.
Put them in a preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. And adore the beauty of puffing and melting stage of thing! Yeah!!!!
Done! They are good both hot right out of oven or at room temperature. The spice blend really adds nice flavor on these puffs. Of course they make a great finger food, too.
Simple food, simple life.., yup! that’s what I am longing for this week.
Other Savory Breakfast Recipes
- Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo)
- Quick Breakfast Stuffed Tortilla Egg Roll
- Egg and Vegetable Frittata
Ham and Cheese Pastry Puffs
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastries thawed
- 8 ham or turkey slices
- 8 slices cheddar, Swiss, or provolone cheese
- egg wash 1egg + 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC)
- Cut the thawed pastries into 4 squares, lay ham and cheese diagonally.
- Sprinkle a little bit of spice blend on top and fold two diagonal corners to the center and pinch together to secure.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bush the pastries with the egg wash and sprinkle more spice blend on top.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature.