Stir-frying pork belly and squid together in a spicy sauce? This Korean style spicy pork and squid stir-fry (Osam bulgogi) is a popular dish in Korea. A little bit of Korean chili paste, chili flakes, and a hint of curry powder makes it so unique and tasty. This is a must to try recipe.
Whoever thought of matching pork belly with squid in a same dish must be a brilliant cook. Here is Korean style spicy pork and squid stir-fry that you must to try.
If you like spicy Korean Pork or Stir-fried spicy squid dishes, this is like a story of happily married couple. A 4 legged land animal and a 8 legged sea creature met each other and overcame all the obstacles from their background differences to bring their love into a victory. Hallelujah!
Osam Bulgogi (오삼 불고기) is the name of the dish. Here’s a Korean vocabulary breakdown.
- O = Ojinguh (squid)
- Sam = Samgyupsal (pork belly)
This spicy pork and squid stir-fry is quite a popular dish among Korans in recent years. There are different ways of making this lovely dish but the method I am sharing is my favorite. I got this idea from a Koran food TV show and adapted a little to bring the best result.
What makes osam bulgogi so unique?
- Unusual combination; squid and pork belly
- curry powder
All I can say is that you need to try this recipe to believe how good it is. Pork, squid, Korean chili paste, chili flakes, and a hint of curry powder miraculously make this dish so satisfyingly delicious. Try and you shall believe!
How to make Korean spicy pork and squid stir-fry
Slice the onion and carrot, and mice garlic and ginger.
In a small mixing bowl, combine all the seasoning paste ingredients. The addition of curry powder is the key factor in this recipe, so please don’t skip it.
I use pork belly because it becomes very crisp like bacon in this dish. If you don’t like the fattiness of pork belly, use pork shoulder instead.
Dice the pork into bite size pieces and brown until fully cooked.
If there is too much pork fat remained in the skillet, wipe out with the paper towel.
Add the squid pieces and cook until they are about done. You don’t want to overcook your squid. Remove them from a skillet.
Add the onion and carrot slices and quickly saute until crisp soft. Remove them from a skillet as well.
Now, heat a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar to caramelize.
When the sugar turns golden brown, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil around.
Add the pork, squid, the vegetables, and the sauce.
Stir-fry quickly to incorporate with the sauce, about 1-2 minutes over med-high heat. That’s it. It is ready to eat.
How to serve this Osam-bulgogi? Serve with rice as we always do in Korea.
Or try with lettuce! The spicy pork and tender squid over the rice wrapped in crisp lettuce… it is heavenly, folks!
I feel like making another batch for my lunch again. Hope you enjoy!
More Dishes Like This
- Spicy Korean Pork Bulgogi (Jeyuk Bokkeum)
- Squid Shrimp Stir-fry with Soybean Paste
- Bossam (Korean Boiled Pork)
- Pork Belly Recipe (Butadon)
Spicy Pork and Squid Stir-Fry (Osam Bulgogi)
- 1/2 lb pork belly or pork butt cut into bite sizes
- 2 medium size squids cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 medium carrot thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 green onion sliced
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- To make spicy seasoning paste; mix all the seasoning paste ingredeints in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cook pork belly slices in a skillet over med-high heat until somewhat crisp done. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Remove some pork fat in the skillet if there are too much. Add the squid and cook until they are curling up and become opaque, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Do not over cook the squid, otherwise they will be tough like a rubber.
- Saute onion and carrot slices until crisp tender. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat a dry skillet over med-high heat until hot. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar to caramelize.
- When the sugar turns deep golden brown, drizzle oil and return the pork, squid, the seasoning paste, and green onion to the skillet. Stir-fry everything over med-high heat until they are incorporated with the sauce, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice. Wrap with lettuce if desired.