Tofu with Egg and Tomato
This quick and simple tofu dish is cooked with egg and tomato to add extra protein and flavor — A delicious comfort food ready in just 20 minutes. It’s gluten-free and vegetarian adaptable!
I can’t tell what the identity of this dish is. It is like a soup but it is not. It can be a savory custard but doesn’t look like it either.
Well, I will just call it tofu with egg and tomato. It surely is one of those easy-peasy comfort food that doesn’t require much time and effort.
Soft tofu is crumbled and simmered with tomato and zucchini (optional) in chicken stock, then beaten egg is added to finish up. The egg will provide extra protein in the dish and makes it hearty. It’s also gluten-free dish and a vegetarian adaptable recipe.
This tofu with egg and tomato dish tastes better than it sounds. And it only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, so it makes a perfect meal in hurry.
- soft tofu
- zucchini – optional but recommended
- chicken stock – or use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
- green onion
- some toasted sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make Tofu with Egg and Tomato
Smash the soft tofu until crumbly. You can use fork or hand.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
Add zucchini and tomato. Zucchini is optional but it makes the dish colorful and adds nutrition.
Add the tofu and stir. Pour chicken stock, about 1/2 to 1 cup depending on how liquidy you desire. Bring this to boil and cook until everything is softened, about 2 minutes.
Vegetarian Adaptable Recipe Tip: Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Drizzle the beaten eggs all over and stir well. Continue to cook until the eggs are set, stirring gently.
Sprinkle some chopped green onion and toasted sesame seeds. Now the dish is ready to serve.
How to serve this tofu with egg and tomato?
Serve with rice, of course.
FYI, the rice I used is mixture of plain rice, black rice and lentils cooked in a rice cooker. Or you can try with multigrain rice for a whole hearty meal.
If you want to be more adventurous, try with kimchi on the side. That’s my way of enjoying comfort food.
More Tofu Recipes
- Crispy Korean Pan-Fried Tofu (Dubu Buchim)
- Quick Braised Tofu
- Quick Soft Tofu Recipe (Microwave)
- Spicy Tofu and Egg in a Skillet
- Traditional Korean Soft Tofu Stew (Soondubu Jjigae)
Tofu with Egg and Tomato
- 1 package (1 lb) soft tofu, drained and smashed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1/2 zucchini , finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2-1 cup chicken stock
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the zucchini and tomato; cook until soft. Season with salt.
- Add the tofu and chicken stock. Use larger amount of stock if you want the dish to be slightly soupy. Let it boil for 1 minute.
- Drizzle the beaten egg over tofu mixture and let it cook until the eggs are set, Sprinkle with green onion and toasted sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm with rice.