Roasted Chicken with Fennel, Pepper, and Onion
This roasted chicken with fennel, pepper and onion makes a easy and delicious chicken dinner. The addition of lemon juice, rosemary, and a little brown sugar makes it so moist and flavorful. It is a simple dinner without much effort.
Fennel is a vegetable that I wasn’t sure if I liked it so much. Its strong anise fragrance when I first tried in salad overwhelmed me. So I have given up cooking with fennel quite some time until I tasted the roasted fennel. Oh, my! It was amazingly mellow and sweet with a touch of fragrance. I fell in love with fennel since then.
Here is one chicken and fennel recipe that anybody can enjoy even if they are not keen on fennel. This roasted chicken with fennel, pepper, and onion is very simple to make so that you don’t have to slave yourself in the kitchen when life goes hectic in the evening.
Roasted vegetables brings such a sweetness and they will enhance the chicken to the maximum flavor. With a juice of lemon and fresh rosemary to flavor the entire dish, your chicken will be so moist and fragrant. Deli
Ingredients You’ll Need
- chicken drumsticks and thighs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- brown sugar
- fresh rosemary
- red pepper
How to make Roasted Chicken with Fennel, Pepper and Onion
Cut off the green parts of fennel and its core.
Then slice thinly and beautifully, too 🙂
Slice onion and pepper into thin strips as well.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a skillet and brown the chicken until the crust is golden. Take the chicken out to a plate and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, olive oil, chopped rosemary, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
Add some minced garlic and the vegetables to the skillet, cook until they are just softened. Then pour the lemon juice mixture and scrape the bottom of the skillet.
Return the chicken back to the skillet and place them on top. Roast these guys in a preheated 450˚F oven for 20 minutes.
And there you have it! The roasted chicken with fennel pepper and onion!
You will love the mellow flavor of roasted fennel and other vegetables. The chicken is very moist and the gravy adds a hint of sweetness with a lemony flavor. Just the way I like it. Our family weeknight dinner was well taken care of, and everyone was pleased.
More Dinner Recipes
- Soy Balsamic Chicken Thighs with Asparagus
- The Simplest Beef Pot Roast
- Devil’s Chicken (Pollo Diablo)
- Apricot Glazed Chicken Breast
- Ragu Bolognese Sauce, The Classic Recipe
Roasted Chicken with Fennel, Pepper, and onion
- 2 lb chicken drumsticks and thighs
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 large fennel, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and brown the chicken until the crust gets golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, fennel, pepper, and onion and cook until they are slightly softened, about 1-2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, brown sugar, rosemary, and 2-3 pinches of salt and pepper. Mix well and add to the skillet. Stir the vegetables and deglaze the bottom of the skillet. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and place on top of vegetables. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until the chicken pieces are fully cooked and the vegetables are tender and soft.
- Drizzle the pan juice over the chicken and the roasted vegetables, and serve with mashed potatoes or rice. Enjoy!