Perhaps the simplest beef pot roast recipe you can make in a dutch oven. All you need is roasting beef, onion, carrot, salt & pepper to season.
Here is perhaps the simplest beef pot roast recipe you can make. I am not sure if this is worthy of say recipe because it is so simple. All you need is roasting beef, onion, carrot, and salt & pepper to season.
How to make the Simplest Beef Pot Roast
You will need a heavy duty dutch oven to roast in it. If you don’t have a dutch oven, use any heavy bottomed pot with a lid that seals tightly.
This beef pot roast recipe doesn’t require any liquid or wine. The beef and vegetables are cooked in their own moisture. I recommend to use whole carrots instead of cutting into pieces because you will roast then with the beef from the beginning.
It is as simple as it can be, but resulting in tender and flavorful beef. Besides the roast makes its own gravy with the drippings right in a pan without any added flour.
Which beef cut should I use?
I recommend beef chuck. But other roasting cuts of beef with visible fat will work also. The fat is necessary to keep the meat moist during the roasting and adds the flavor.
Can I cook this on the stove top?
Yes, but on a very low heat. You will definitely need to use a heavy bottom pot if you are cooking on a stove top
How to make gravy with drippings
Take the carrots out of pot to serve with the beef. You will have very tender onion in the meat dripping. Puree them together with a hand blender right in a pot and you will have a delicious gravy to serve with your roast
The Simplest Beef Pot Roast
- 2.5 lb beef chuck
- 1 1/2 large onion sliced
- 5-6 small carrots
- kosher salt to season
- freshly ground pepper to season
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 300˚F.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper generously and place on a hot dutch oven. Sear all sides of the beef until brown. Remove from the pot.
- Add the remaining oil in a pot. Add the onion and pinch salt; saute until just soft, scrapping all the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the carrot and stir.
- Return the beef and arrange the carrot to surround the beef. Close with a lid and put it in the oven. Roast for 2-2.5 hrs until folk tender.
- Take the roast out of the pot and let it rest for 10 minutes. Shred the roast into the large bite size chunks and place in a serving platter. Add the carrots.
- Using a hand blender, puree the onion and the meat dripping in the pot until smooth. Taste and season with salt & pepper if needed. Serve the gravy with roast and carrots.