This Berry crumb cake has it all. Simple buttery crisp crumbs with fresh berry filling. You don’t need to make a separate cake batter.
If you are looking for a gorgeous yet easy to make, and delicious dessert recipe, here is one I recommend. This berry crumb cake has it all. Simple buttery delicious crisp crumbs with moist berry filling inside.
You don’t need to make a separate cake batter for this cake. The crumbs will hold its shape and provide delectable texture. It does have an appearance of pie-and it some how tastes like a pie.
However, it is in the category of cakes. It is a super simple and no fuss recipe that everyone will rave once they taste it. If you have abundant berries, this berry crumb cake will surely use it up and please you.
Making Crumbs for Berry Crumb Cake
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cold butter pieces and start blending together. I like to use two plastic bench scrapers to cut the butters in the flour. You can certainly use fingers to do the job as well.
Add the well beaten egg – the egg will binds the flour + butter mixture and turn them into crumbs. You will divide the crumbs into two portion, one for bottom crust, and the other for the topping.
Berry Crumb Cake Recipe FAQs
What other fruits can I use?
Peaches, plums, nectarines, grapes, apples, pears, and etc. Any fruits that are suitable for baking will work great with this recipe.
Can I bake this cake in a pie dish?
If you don’t have a springform pan, you can use a pie dish, or any baking dish.
Can I freeze berry crumb cake?
Crumb cake freezes well. Wrap them well and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw it in a room temperature for several hours before you serve.
More Fruit Dessert Recipes
Berry Crumb Cake
- 2-1/2 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg beaten
For the berry filling
- 3 cup berries blueberry, raspberry, & blackberry
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan
- In a large mixing bow, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Add the butter pieces and mix with flour mixture using a dough scraper or fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and mix with a fork first, then use your finger to moisten the flour mixture until it becomes crumbs.
- Sprinkle half the amount of the crumbs in the pan and gently press down to form a crust.
- In another mixing bowl, combine berries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cornstarch; mix well. Pour on the crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumbs to cover the berries. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top gets light golden brown. Let the cake cool in a pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely.