Blueberry dumplings (blueberry grunt) is a comforting country style dessert with a very little effort. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Why not make a simple blueberries dessert without all the hustle? The dessert called blueberry dumplings is a comforting country style dessert with a very little effort to make.
It is somewhat similar to cobblers which combine fruit with biscuit dough. This type of dessert is also called as grunt or slump depends on the locale.
The biscuit dough is made slightly softer than for a cobbler, then spooned over the fruit-more likely drop biscuits. It is simmered in a pot tightly covered with a lid, thus the dumpling dough is steamed, not baked in oven.
I mixed blueberries and blackberries for mine. You can go with either berries. Make sure to serve your blueberry dumplings warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It heavenly delicious and comforting.
What types of fruits are suitable?
Any summer fruits that are good for baking, such as blueberry, blackberry, peach, nectarine, plum, and etc. You can also use frozen berries instead. Just reduce the amount of water in the recipe.
What can I substitute for buttermilk in the recipe?
You can use plain yogurt mixed with a little milk to get the loose consistency. Or you can use regular milk but omit the baking soda in the recipe if doing so.
More Easy Fruit desserts
- 4 cups blueberries or mixture of other berries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch cinnamon and pepper
- 4 tbsp water
For the dumplings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- Place the berries in a pot, add the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, pepper & water; toss to combine. Bring the berry mixture to a boil.
- Meanwhile, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in the melted butter. Add the buttermilk and stir with a fork to form a sticky dough.
- When the berries are boiling, lower the heat to a simmer, uncover, and spoon the dough over the fruit, dividing the dough into 4-6 portions. Cover with a lid tightly and cook for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the dumplings and some of the berries into serving bowls. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.