What a treat to enjoy a feather-like cake with creamy lemon custard altogether in one pan? This lemon pudding cake is it. It is a warm lemony dessert that is so easy and quick to make. Like a magic, the thin cake batter goes in to oven, and comes out as a fluffy cake with hidden pudding underneath. With only a few ingredients you might already have at your kitchen, you can indulge the sweet dessert without much effort. Check out my YouTube video for the tutorials
What you will need to make Lemon Pudding Cake
The Lemon Pudding cake only need eggs, sugar, flour, milk, and of course the lemon. You don’t even need butter or any additional fat other than from milk or eggs.
How to make Lemon Pudding Cake
1. Separate egg whites and yolks
2. The egg yolks will be mixed with milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
3. Combine the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, and salt. Add the egg yolk & milk mixture and mix together.
4. You will need to make meringue with egg whites and fold it into the batter. The meringue will help the cake to rise and keep it very light.
Although making the cake batter is very simple, you will want to water bath the cake when you put it in the oven. The steam from the water will help cake very soft and moist preventing from becoming too dry. Basically, pour the batter in a 1 qt size baking pan, then put the pan in a larger pan. Pour the hot water in the large pan to come up to half the height of the pan. That will help the cake batter to stay moist while baking.
Lemon Pudding Cake
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease a 1-qt baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Pour the lemon mixture to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until a stiff peak forms. Add to the batter and fold them together. Pour the batter into a prepared baking dish.
- Place the dish into a larger baking pan. Pour hot water into a large pan until it reaches half way up the size of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
- Remove the dish from the pan and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm with fresh berries.