Homemade dulce de leche and cookie crumb pie crust makes this banoffee Pie extraordinary delicious. It is a very easy pie to put together.
Banoffee Pie is a delicious banana and toffee pie. It is filled with silky homemade dulce de leche and whipped cream in a cookie crumb crust. This popular English dessert has a rich combination of different textures and flavors.
You can make the crust with either digestive biscuits or graham crackers. The silky dulce de leche is just delectable to accompany the bananas in the pie.
It is very easy and simple pie to make with just a few ingredients. The homemade dulce de leche is worth the waiting. It is super easy to make dulce de leche. All you have to do is simmering in water.
What is Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de leche is a thickend caramel-like sauce made with milk. It looks a like caramel, but it’s actually a sweetened milk that’s been simmered for a long time.
How to make homemade dulce de leche
It is very easy to make homemade dulce de leche with a can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Remove the label from the condensed milk and put it in a pot of simmering water over low heat. Make sure the water is deep enough to cover the entire can.
- Cook for 3 hrs and set aside to cool. If you want a thicker caramel, simmer longer.
More Pie Recipes
- 14 oz sweet condensed milk
- 3 bananas peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 cup digestive biscuit or graham cracker crumbs
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 tbsp butter melted
- 1-1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- chocolate syrup to garnish, optional
- To make the dulce de leche; Remove the label from the condensed milk and put it in a pot of simmering water over low heat; cook for 3 hrs and set aside to cool.
- For the Crust; Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Mix together cookie crumbs, brown sugar, and butter. Pour in a 9-inch pie pan and gently press down. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes and cool completely. Chilling is even better.
- For the whipped cream; add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract to the whipping cream and beat on high speed until medium peaks form.
- Open the can and take the dulce de leche out and spread it on the crust. Top with the sliced bananas and whipped cream. Make sure to cover the banana completely with the whipped cream to prevent them from browning. Garnish with chocolate syrup if using. Chill the pie uncovered for 1 hr before you serve.
- Store the leftover pie in a fridge up to 4 days.