I always have a few overly ripen bananas sitting on my kitchen counter at home and look for some ways to use up. I often bake banana breads with them and everyone in my family seemed to be sick of it. This time, I made this simple black bottom banana cake. It has a chocolate flavored banana cake layer on the bottom, which yields the dark color, and the simple banana cake layer above. To make it more chocolaty, I sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top. If you like chocolate and banana combination, this black bottom banana cake will hit the spot.
You will want to use very ripen bananas. When the banana gets very soft and black spots appearing on the skin, that’s good time to use up in baking. The more black spot, the stronger banana fragrance you will have in the baked goods.
What are the ingredients?
- 3-4 very ripen bananas
- all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- baking powder
- baking soda
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
How to make the black bottom cake?
You will make a simple banana cake batter first. Then divide the batter in half. Add the cocoa powder to only one of the divided batter. Spread the cocoa cake batter on the bottom of pan, then spread the banana cake batter on top. Using a knife, swirl around the both layers to create marbling effect. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips on top and bake. Please check my tutorial video below for a detailed instruction.
More Banana Recipes
Black Bottom Banana Cake
- 3-4 ripen bananas
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a parchment paper to 9-inch square pan.
- Mash bananas and reserve 1-1/2 cup amount; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until well mixed. Add the egg and vanilla and mix beat well. Add the mashed banana and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Divide the batter in half and add the cocoa powder to one of the half batters; mix well.
- Spread the cocoa batter on the bottom of pan. Spread the banana cake batter on top. With a knife swirl around the cake to give a marbling effect. Sprinkle chocolate chip on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in a pan for 10 minutes and transfer the cake to a cooling rack. Cool completely.