Best Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry Recipe
Making a classic Chinese beef and broccoli stir-fry at home is easy! Tender beef and fresh broccoli florets are stir fried together with a savory sauce. With this recipe, you will have a quick and healthy dinner in 15 minutes. It’s better than any Chinese restaurant takeout.
I had a chunk of very good beef sirloin and a head of farm-picked fresh broccoli in hand. What would I do with them? Beef and broccoli stir-fry, of course!
Although this the most common beef stir-fry dish that people order at Chinese takeout restaurants, it is actually very easy to prepare at home with ingredients you might already have in your pantry.
This is one of the quick and easy Chinese recipes you can make. Give yourself 15 minutes in the kitchen and you got a healthy beef broccoli stir fry dinner ready for you and your family on a busy weeknight.
Tips for making Best Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Make sure the beef is thinly sliced and marinated with soy sauce, a little brown sugar, and corn starch for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut up the broccoli and onion. Prepare the stir-fry sauce in a separate bowl by combining soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken stock, garlic, ginger, sugar, and corn starch.
- When ready to stir-fry, stir-fry beef first, then add the broccoli and cook until soft. Pour the sauce and voila! Within a few seconds, your dinner is ready to serve.
For a successful stir-fry: It is important to get all the ingredients prepared. Preseason the meat (if needed), vegetables are cut up, and sauce is made before you start a stir-fry. Make sure everything is ready to go and standby next to you so that you can stir-fry quickly without pausing.
Now I think I just gave you full instructions on how to make the dish and I feel like this post should end right here! Just kidding! Here is the recipe tutorial in case you need it.
How to make Beef and Broccoli Stir-fry
Slice beef. Slice thinly against the grain. Use a tender cut of beef, such as sirloin, ribeye, or striploin .
Season beef. Put beef slices in a bowl and add soy sauce, brown sugar, corn starch, and rice wine (if you happened to have any). Toss well together and set aside for 5 minutes.
Cut up broccoli into florets. I don’t throw away the stem part. Remove the outer fibrous layer and you will get the tender core inside. It is delicious!
Also slice one small onion and set aside with broccoli.
Make beef and broccoli stir fry sauce. In a bowl, mix beef stock (or chicken stock), soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, and cornstarch; set aside.
Stir fry beef. Heat oil in your wok or skillet very hot over high heat. It is important to stir-fry with a very high temperature.
Throw the beef slices in and stir-fry just until they are just browned, about 2-3 minutes. Consider that you are cooking the beef about 75% done. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
Drizzle more oil in a wok and add the broccoli and onion. Stir-fry for a minute. Make sure you are retaining the high heat.
Add about 2 tablespoons of water to create the steam. Cook the broccoli until they are tender but retain its crispness; about 1-2 minutes. Add more water if needed.
Pour the stir fry sauce. Return the beef to the skillet and pour the sauce over everything. The sauce will thicken in no time. Continue to stir-fry until the sauce gets thickened; about 30-60 seconds.
You can serve this beef and broccoli stir-fry over rice or noodles. I chose rice because it is a staple in my household.
You will love the tender beef, and the crisp tender broccoli florets. It is juicy and delicious. Look how broccoli retained its beautiful greenness!
A great meal doesn’t have to be so labor intensive, right? The handy-dandy printable recipe is below. Enjoy!
More Beef Stir-fry Recipes
- Quick Cumin Beef Stir-Fry
- Beef and Cucumber Stir-Fry
- Thai Beef and Basil Stir-Fry (Under 20 Minutes)
- Beef and Peppers Stir-fry in Black Bean Sauce
Best Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1 1/4 lb beef sirloin, or ribeye or striploin, thinly sliced against grain
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp rice wine, optional
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb broccoli , cut into florets
- 1 small onion , sliced
- 2-3 tbsp water
- For the beef marinade, combine beef slices with brown sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and rice wine in a bowl. Toss well and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- For the sauce, mix all the sauce ingredient in another bowl; set aside.
- To stir-fry, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the beef and let it sear for few seconds, then stir-fry until they are just browned, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok until hot, add broccoli and onion, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Make sure to maintain the high heat. Add 2 tablespoon of water to create the steam so that can cook the broccoli florets to a tender crisp.; about 2 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- When the broccoli florets are tender yet crisp, return the beef and pour the sauce over. Continue to stir-fry until the sauce gets thickened, about 30-60 seconds. Serve warm with rice or noodles