I have been posting spicy recipes for the past couple of weeks and thought I need something to sweeten things up. Here is a delicious Peach Kuchen, the German peach cake made with canned peaches.
Kuchen is quite an interesting dessert, not to mention how delicious it is. It is like a sort of pie but with tender cake-like crumbs, plus some of them have a delicious and moist custard cream on top. If you taste it, you will fall for it immediately.
Fresh peaches would make the most delicious Kuchen for this recipe but I can’t even ask for fresh peaches in the chilly winter in Buenos Aires right now. Here comes canned peaches to the rescue. Besides, they were on sale. Perfect!
It is better to use a spring form pan to accomplish the drop-dead gorgeous Kuchen presentation, but it is not mandatory. I am not including the tutorial for this recipe this time because it is very simple to follow from my printable recipe.
Whether you use fresh peaches or canned peaches, you will end up with a delectable dessert on your plate. If you have never made Kuchen before, give this a shot!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon mace or nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 large can (825 g) peach halves, drained and sliced into 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, mace in a mixing bowl and stir well with a whisk.
- Add the cold butter pieces and incorporate to blend well until it becomes fine crumbs.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk milk and egg well. Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork just until it becomes wet.
- Grease a 9-inch spring form pan and spread the batter on the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the peach slices on top. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the custard cream. In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cups of cream with flour and whisk together to get rid of big lumps. Add the rest of the cream, sugar, egg, vanilla, and salt. whisk well to mix.
- Take the cake out of the oven and pour the cream mixture on top. Put the cake back in the oven and reduce the heat to 350˚F. Continue to bake for 35-40 minutes.
- When the cake top is puffed, and the edges are deep golden and starting to separate from the pan, the cake is done. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely.
- I used canned peaches for this recipe, but you can certainly use fresh peaches.