Spicy Tofu and Soybean Sprouts
Spicy tofu and crunchy bean sprouts are cooked together in a tasty Korean flavored sauce. It makes a delicious one dish meal with some rice.
If you have a block of tofu and a package of bean sprouts, here is one dish you should try. This spicy tofu and bean sprouts are quite tasty and satisfying.
It’s simple to put together and cook quickly which makes it perfect for busy weeknight meal. It also serves as a great one dish meal with a little bit or rice together.
How to make Spicy Tofu with Soybean Sprouts
Use firm tofu for this recipe. Cut them into 1/2-inch squares, press with paper towel to absorb some moisture.
Fry them in a little oil, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
Combine all the seasonings, and mix well.
Layer the tofu, sliced onion, and a handful of dried baby shrimps. Sprinkle 1/2 the amount of the sauce.
This is an optional, but if you like Korean style flat fish cakes, throw some.
Add the bean sprouts and sprinkle the rest of the sauce on top. Pour 1/2 cup of water around.
Cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. You will need to reduce the heat on the last 1-2 minutes of cooking.
Add the Perilla leaves and toss gently.
Mix cornstarch with some water in a bowl where you mixed seasoning paste. Pour it in the skillet. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce gets thickened stirring occasionally.
Serve the whole thing with rice. You will love how everything mellowed into one flavor. It is really tasty and the spicy heat wasn’t overly extreme.
If you omit the dried shrimps and the fish cakes, it can turn into vegetarian/vegan worthy. (I recommend to use sea kelp stock in place of water) Hope you get to try this.
Vegan or Vegetarian Option: If you want to make this dish into vegan/vegetarian, omit the dried shrimps and fish cake. Replace sea kelp stock in place of water. To make sea kelp stock, simmer 1 small piece of dried sea kelp with 1 cups of water for 5 minutes.
Spicy Tofu and Soybean Sprouts
- 1-2 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb firm tofu, sliced into 1/2-inch thick squares
- 1 lb soybean sprouts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 handful dried baby shrimps
- 1 sheet Korean flat fish cake, thinly sliced
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup water, divided
- 10 perilla leaves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Press tofu slices with paper towel and add to the skillet. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side until golden and crisp on the outside.
- To make the spicy sauce, combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Spread onion, the baby shrimps, and the fish cake slices (if using). Sprinkle 1/2 the amount of the seasoning sauce over, top with bean sprouts, and sprinkle remaining sauce again on top. Drizzle 1/2 cup of water around. Cover with the lid and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. You might need to reduce the heat toward the end of cooking time.
- Add the perilla leaves to the skillet and toss gently.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water in bowl which you made the seasoning sauce in. Drizzle the sauce into the skillet and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the sauce gets thickened tossing everything gently. Serve hot with rice.