I love making simple pasta with the fresh ingredients that doesn’t require any cooking in the summer. (except cooking the pasta in boiling water)
I have been making this Pasta with Checca sauce (aka pasta alla cecca) for many years whenever I get the juicy plump tomatoes and a bunch of fresh basil in hand. With the addition of some garlic, green onion, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese, you can taste the summer of Italy in your home. Yuppy-doo~!!!
If you have a food processor, this sauce can be put together faster than your pasta being cooked in a boiling water. However, I sometimes chop everything with a knife, too, leaving the sauce with the bigger chunks of tomatoes and basil.
This uncooked sauce has raw garlic in it, so be aware. I like to mince my garlic finely before I add to the food processor so that I don’t have to bite on a big chunk.
Since it is no cook fresh tomato sauce, it is important to use the best tomatoes you can get. Do not use those semi-ripe flavorless tomatoes you see in the grocery store. I recommend to use those ugly-looking, yet full ripe firm fresh tomatoes you can get in the farmer’s market. Or use fresh cherry of grape tomatoes. They yield sweeter in taste.
I used Rigatoni pasta but any pasta would be great with checca sauce. If you love the flavor combination of fresh tomatoes and basil, you will love this. Yum!
- 8 oz Rigatoni or other pasta of your choice
- 1 (12 oz) cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 green onion (white and pale green part only), coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- a handful of fresh basil leaves (about 15 leaves)
- 3-5 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into bite size chunks
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente or according to the package direction.
- In a food processor, pulse together tomatoes, green onion, basil leaves, garlic, 3 tablespoon olive oil until they are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add Parmesan cheese and more olive oil, if needed, salt and pepper to taste, and mix everything well.
- Add the fresh mozzarella to the sauce.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Serve immediately.