I love Scones. But I have to admit that I don’t enjoy the “cutting cold butter into small pea size” action that most traditional scone recipes ask for. That’s why I turned my heart and soul into searching for quick and easy cream biscuit recipes.
Here is a good one that you can literally prep the whole thing in 5 minutes before you put into oven to bake.
I came across this recipe by accident while I was looking for some good biscuit topping for my blueberry cobbler dessert. I adapted the recipe to add more lemony flavor by adding lemon zest and lemon extract. Other than that it is one of the simplest scone recipe you can make from scratch.
By the way I might have fooled you by saying Lemonade Scones, which you don’t see any lemonade (in terms of American style lemonade drink) in the recipe. I learned that countries in the southern hemisphere call the “Sprite“, the Lemonade!
Stick into the oven and…
At that very moment I realized that *Rising* is a divine wonder. The rising sun…, the rising from the dead…, and the rising dough in your oven. How profound!
Take them out when they look beautiful. Cool slightly before you transfer.
Slobber with your favorite jam and shove it into your mouth when they are still warm. A cup of mint tea would add great elegance to your afternoon snack.
I would be lying if I say these are the best scones you will ever taste.
based on the quick and easy to make category,
they are much better than I thought and you will love the subtle lemon flavor.
No wonder the recipe got such a rave reviews at the site where I got it from.
Hope you like it.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF)
- Sift flour, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add soda, cream, lemon zest and lemon extract, if using, in the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Turn out the mixture on the floured surface and bring together. Pat it down to make 3/4"thick disk, about 7" in diameter.
- Cut into 6-8 wedges or use a round biscuit cutter. Place on the baking tray and brush with milk.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the top is golden. Serve warm with your favorite jam and whipped cream if you wish.