Kimchee Bacon Fried Rice, embarrassingly simple
I am back! How are y’all doing?
I guess I was gone longer than I intended. Were you patiently waiting for my return?
I had a fabulous trip to Europe this summer but upon returning back to Hong Kong, we had to move back to U.S. Life itself is quite an adventure.
My yearning of food blogging came back after 3 months of absence.
I am happy to be back on blogging.
Today’s recipe is Kimchee bacon fried rice. Almost embarrassed to say it as recipe. It is very simple.
Traditionally Koreans use pork to fry up with Kimchee. But I love bacon and bacon is pork as well, so why not?
Use very fermented Kimchee on this dish rather than freshly made. If you have tons of leftover rice it’s even better.
Let the show begin…
My humble ingredients are;
Kimchee, bacon, rice, sesame oil, and sesame seeds, eggs.
Make sure your kimchee is very fermented.
The smellier, the better…
Chop these bacon brothers. Set aside.
If you use the whole cabbage kimchee, you will see some stuffing in between the layers.
Get rid of them.
To remove the stuffing,
hold the stem part of the cabbage and shake’em in the sink.
Be gentle though.
You don’t want kimchee juice all over you, do you?
Chop your Kimchee any way you like…
Heat your pan and brown the bacon strips
You will see lots of bacon fat in the pan. Do we need it all?
Nah! Let’s eat a little healthier.
Grab a paper towel and wipe off half the fat in the pan.
Just half, okay!
You will need some fat to cook Kimchee with.
Add the chopped Kimchee and saute them
for about 5 minutes until they get nice and tender.
Add heated leftover rice to the pan and mix with Kimchee well.
Add some Kimchee juice to the pan. Mix well.
Turn off the heat and add sesame oil,
reserved bacon pieces and sesame seeds. Mix them well.
Sprinkle some black pepper if you like…
You can fry some eggs.
Sunny side up for me, please…
Place the egg on top of the fried rice.
So darn simple…
Ready to eat?
Kimchee Bacon Fried Rice (kimchi bokkeum bap)
1/4 head cabbage Kimchee, chopped, about 1 1/2C
4-6 bacon strips
2 C cooked rice heated
1-2T Kimchee juice
1t sesame oil
1t sesame seeds
dash black pepper
Some spring onion chopped for garnish, optional
- Dice the bacon strips into small pieces, set aside.
- Discard stuffing from the cabbage Kimchee and chop them into small pieces.
- Brown the bacon pieces in the fry pan over medium heat until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using a paper towel remove half of bacon fat from the pan. Add the chopped Kimchee into the pan and saute them well until nice and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and combine them well with Kimchee mixture over the medium heat. Add the reserved Kimchee juice to moisten the fried rice. Continue to stir until heated through.
- Turn off the heat.Add sesame oil, sesame seeds, and the bacon pieces. Mix well.
- Fry eggs into sunny side up and place on top of the fried rice.
- Serve immediately.
All rights reserved by www.beyondkimchee.com