I like to bake a loaf of quick sweet bread to serve for breakfast or as an afternoon snack for my family. I like a recipe that is quick to put together with a satisfying result; not too sweet, mushy, dry, or greasy. And if it is considered somewhat healthy? That recipe would be sitting in the hall of fame recipe collection box of mine.
Banana bread is perhaps the most popular and common sweet bread that everyone on this planet bakes often, and I believe everyone has their best recipe for it. So I am not sharing the ever popular banana bread recipe although I have my favorite.
Instead, I would like to share with you the carrot oat bread recipe that my family likes. It is unbelievably moist and soft. The addition of rolled oats makes this bread wholesome and the bread stays moist for a couple of days (if it lasts that long). If you like walnuts and dried dates or raisins, adding them to this bread would make it more tasty.
Carrots are one of the cheapest vegetables (in terms of the price not the nutrition-wise) and oats are wholesome. So combining these two in a sweet bread is my kind of *the sweet meets the healthy* version of the low budget snack for my families with serious sweet teeth. Yup!
I don’t think I need to explain every single step on this recipe like I would do on my Korean recipes. You will understand how easily they can be put together by just looking at the photos. You don’t need a mixer. Just a mixing bowl, a whisk, and a spatula is all you need. Oh, a handful of sweet love is an optional addition!
Done! Looking good, right! Wait until it cools down.
I had to eat one slice as I was shooting some beauty shots on this bread. The bread crumb is very tender and moist, and the sweetness is just right. The combination of cinnamon and nutmeg enhances the flavor of carrot perfectly without overpowering.
My husband took this bread to work and told me that it was raved about by his coworkers. (Well…, I hope he was telling the truth.)
Enjoy your carrots! After all, they are not just only for Peter Rabbit, but for all of us, the non-rabbit two legged species.
Carrot Oat Bread
- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut optional
- 1/2 cup dried dates or raisins optional
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a 8x4 loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugars, eggs, vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the oil mixture and stir a few strokes. Fold in the carrots, 1/2 cup rolled oats, walnuts and dates (if using) just until everything is combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of rolled oats on top. Bake it in the preheated oven for 1 hr or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wired rack before you slice.