I understand the term “sloppy” in the title. This is a kind of dish that can be prepared quick and easy, and it can be a little messy when you eat with hands. However why does it have a name of “Joe”? Why not Bob or David? Just simply curious!
Anyway, I want to give a little twist to this all American classic sandwich by adding a Korean flavor. Yes, this is Gochujang Sloppy Joes! Gochujang will add a very gentle spicy kick and you will love how it binds all the flavors so nicely.
I made this recipe for JayOne and you will find the same recipe on their site as well.
If you are stuck with ideas of what to make for dinner, try this Korean fusion of Gochujang sloppy Joes to add a little variation on your repertoire. You never know! This might become your routine.
This is my *Korea meets America* version of a simple weeknight dinner. Pile high over your hamburger bun and dig in! A slice of cheese would add nice touch, too. You will eventually need a folk and some napkins to finish it up, though. Because…, after all, it is SLOPPY!! Sorry, Joe!
- Chop the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the Holy Trinity of vegetables - onion, green pepper and celery. Saute them until slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook 1 more minute.
- Slide the vegetables to one side of the skillet. Drizzle the remaining oil onto the skillet and add the ground beef. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top and let the beef sizzle for 1 minute. Stir the beef to brown thoroughly. When the beef is cooked mix with vegetables.
- Add tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and cider vinegar. Stir well and bring to gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the whole thing simmer for 20-25 minutes, uncovered.
- The sauce will thicken as it simmers but should be moist without being dry. Adjust the heat accordingly.
- Serve these mouth-watering Sloppy Joes over hamburger buns and savor the East-meets-West version of an all-American classic every single bite. Enjoy!