Tofu and Egg Pudding in Microwave
This savory Korean tofu and egg pudding is made with silken tofu in a microwave. It’s a protein packed Korean tofu dish and quick to prepare. Delicious.
Haven’t had enough tofu in your life? Here is another easy tofu recipe that you might like; tofu and egg pudding (yeondubu dalgyal jjim, 연두부 달걀찜).
I mixed silken tofu with eggs and simmered in chicken stock. This savory custard-like pudding dish is so easy to make and delicious.
This Tofu and Egg Pudding is a protein packed comfort food, and the best part? You can make this in your microwave. It’s a hassle-free and gluten-free recipe!
This pudding is great to eat on its own, or serve over rice as a side dish, just like one of the many Korean side dishes. Either way, you got a nice meal that makes you happy.
During the busy holiday season, I want my meal to be simple and quick to prepare, yet still made from scratch to obtain all the nutritional benefits. And this dish fits the bill.
If you like soft (silken) tofu and eggs, I have a feeling that this dish might become your routine.
Try Korean steamed egg (gyeran-jjim) for more exciting volcano egg pudding.
How to cook Tofu and Egg Pudding in Microwave
Place a strainer over a mixing bowl and put the silken tofu block.
With a back of your spoon, smash the tofu.
Behold the grand exit of your tofu!
Beat 4 eggs in another small bowl.
Sieve the eggs through the strainer, too. There will be a little bit of egg white residue which won’t sieve through at the end. Just discard it.
Pour chicken stock to the tofu and eggs, and mix everything well.
Throw some chopped green onion and toasted sesame seeds in. I am a sesame seeds fanatic. Maybe that’s why I am so wacky.
This is an optional. If you have these Korean salted shrimps, chop them up and add in to the mixture. If you don’t have it, add a little bit of salt instead.
Pour in a serving bowl that is microwave-safe.
I divide the mixture in half and pour the half in my serving bowl. You can pour the entire amount in a large bowl or distribute in individual ramekin dishes to serve individually. You just need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Place the bowl in a microwave and cover with a plate (microwave safe) on top. Cook for 6-8 minutes on high power.
Microwave cooking time
To cook the entire recipe in one bowl: 10-12 minutes
To cook in two medium bowls: 6-8 minutes
To cook in four small bowl: 3-5 minutes
The tofu egg pudding will be very hot when you take out. So, please, be cautious. Let it sit for a few minutes to avoid burning your tongue before you dig in. The puffy top will sink down a little but not too much.
Lovely savory pudding is ready to serve. It goes well with any Korean meal as a side or just like I did; I ate it as a breakfast with my quinoa pumpkin rice.
More Tofu Recipes You Might Like
- Quick Braised Tofu
- Crispy Korean Pan-Fried Tofu (Dubu Buchim)
- Tofu with Egg and Tomato
- Spicy Tofu and Egg in a Skillet
- Tofu Broccoli Salad
Tofu and Egg Pudding
- 9 oz silken tofu
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp Korean salted shrimp, or 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Place silken tofu in a mesh strainer over a mixing bowl and mash the tofu with the back of a spoon. You will have smoothly mashed tofu in a bowl.
- In another small bowl, beat eggs. Sieve the beaten eggs through the strainer as well.
- Add chicken stock to tofu and egg mixture and mix well. If using salted shrimps, finely mince them and add in to the mixture or use salt. Add green onions and sesame seeds to the mixture and combine everything.
- Divide the mixture into 2-4 microwave-safe serving bowls and cover with plates (microwave-safe) on top.
- Heat the mixture on a high power setting in a microwave; 6-8 minutes for 2 bowls or 3-5 minutes for 4 bowls.
- When done, the pudding will be very hot so be very cautious. Serve hot.