How could I feel so happy for a single potato…?
I had one potato lounging on my counter and a handful of green beans that I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with.
I was hungry and I wanted to EAT them both.., so I put them together.
What a JOY-ous day! I was quite happy how they turned out.
All you need is..,a single Mr. potato,
some attractive green bean ladies,
a clove of garlic who needs serious party time,
salt and pepper,
and lots of toasted sesame seeds, plus a tiny bit of healthy oil to cook them.
But you have to see how I cook together. Sometimes a recipes is not always about the ingredients. It can be about the techniques, too.
First, peel your potato and slice into 1/8″ thick slices.
Then cut these slices into 1/8″ matchsticks.
Rinse. Why? You want to remove some starch so they don’t stick to each other later. Set aside to drain.
You will need about this much of green beans.
Slice green beans diagonally very thin.
In a non-stick surfaced skillet over medium heat, fry chopped garlic in oil for 10 seconds.
Add the potato
Sprinkle some salt and stir.
Cover with lid and cook for 1-2 minute over medium-low heat.
You can tell they are cooked half-way.
Add the green beans and toss. Season with a little salt again.
Cover with lid and continue cooking for another minute or so.
When potato is soft with a little body and the green beans are somewhat crisp tender, it is done. Add freshly ground pepper,
and lots of toasted sesame seeds. I crush them with my fingers as I add to the pan.
The color contrast,
And the nutty fragrance of sesame seeds…
I didn’t care if I had to floss my teeth afterward,
which I eventually did.
I was digging in and finished all.
- 1 russet potato, peeled
- a small handful (about 3 oz) green beans, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil or canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- a few pinches kosher salt
- a few dashes black pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, crushed
- Slice potato into ⅛" thick slices and cut them into thin matchsticks. Rinse potato with cold water and drain, set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, saute garlic for 10 seconds. Add the potato, sprinkle two pinches of salt over and stir. Cover the skillet with a lid and reduce the heat to med-low. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Open the lid and add the green beans, sprinkle with more salt and stir. Cover with the lid again and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove the lid and gently toss the potato and green beans until they are soft with a little body. You might need to adjust the time and heat to achieve the desired texture.
- Season with more salt, if you need, and pepper. Sprinkle sesame seeds and gently toss together. Serve warm or at room temperature.