As you know they both are fermented food, one is from cabbage and the other from milk of cow, goat, and/or sheep. I don’t think Mr. Cow ever eats cabbages but perhaps he wouldn’t mind having a blind date with Ms. Cabbage in the rice park. Kaboom! You won’t believe how divinely delicious they are together.
They are so meant to be together. Why on earth did I not try that before?
One is deep fried and the other pan seared. They both are good. The deep fried one offers irresistible crispness while pan seared one offers more aromatic substance to overall flavor. You will need well fermented cabbage Kimchee to bring out the full flavor.
I will share with you my East meets West version of rice patties. Kimchee rocks!
Mozzarella cheese, Feta cheese, Kimchee, ground pork, parsley, green onion, eggs, flour, and panko crumbs.
You will also need some cooked short grain rice and Parmesan cheese.
Parental discretion advised. Looks a little R-rated on this scene. Scary…
Chop Ms. Cabbage as fine as you can.
Saute the piggies in the hot oil until they are no longer shy in pink…
Chop the greens…
Remove from the heat. Let it cool down for a few minutes.
Add Mozzarella cheese and feta cheese, stir well.
Add Parmesan cheese and pinch salt to rice and mix well.
Take some rice onto your hand and flatten it. Scoop the Kimchee mixture over rice.
Take more rice and cover the top. Gently squish it to mold into shape
If you want some fun, try star shape to see if it works…
Prepare your coatings for deep frying.
Coat with flour, egg, and panko crumbs.
Version 1 finished.
Version 2 : Want to know how you can pan sear these patties? Super easy…
Just press onto Parmesan cheese on both sides.
Sear with a little bit of oil over hot skillet until NGB. You better serve these patties when hot.
Leftovers aren’t that great unfortunately.
Hope you like them…
- ½ lb fermented cabbage kimchee
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ lb ground pork
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ C shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cups cooked short grain rice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- pinch salt
- flour, eggs, and panko bread crumbs for coating
- oil for deep frying and/or pan sear
- Squeeze out the kimchee to remove its juice, chop finely.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat, add oil and saute ground pork until brown. Add kimchee and continue to saute until kimchee gets softened, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat, add black pepper, green onion and parsley, toss. Rest the mixture to cool down for a few minutes. Add mozzarella cheese and feta cheese, mix well, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rice with ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese and pinch salt.
- Grease your hand with a little oil. Scoop some rice, about 2 Tbsp, on the palm of your hand and flatten it with the other hand. Put 1½ Tbsp of kimchee mixture on top of the rice. cover with more rice over the kimchee and make sure to cover the kimchee completely. Gently squish the rice patties to make into desired shapes.
- For Deep frying, coat the patties with flour, egg and panko breadcrumbs. Deep fry in 170ºC oil until golden brown.
- For pan seared, press the patties onto the rest of the grated Parmesan cheese both sides. Heat a little oil in the skillet and sear the patties until it creates golden crust, about 3 minutes on each side.