Here are what you need.
Japcahe noodles, spinach, mung bean sprouts, orange pepper, onion, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, Korean chili flakes, grape seed oil, sugar, vinegar, and pepper.
Boil a pot of water first and add spinach and mung bean sprouts together, blanch them for 5 seconds.
One Mississippi, two Mississippi… five Mississippi, Done!
Take them out from the pot and rinse with cold water.
Gently squeeze out the water from them with your hands. Set aside.
Now, cook the Japchae noodle (aka Dangmeon, sweet potato noodles) according to the package direction. It usually takes about 6-7 minutes.
Meanwhile make dressing with all the given ingredients. Whisk well.\
Slice the onion and the pepper, chop garlic.
Quick sauteing will help them to be milder in flavor and texture, but still retain their crispness.
When the noodles are done, shower them with cold water and drain well. My noodles were pre-cut in the package. If yours are not, you might want to give them a few cuts before you move on to the next step.
Bring all the vegetables and noodles in the skillet, pour the dressing over.
USE your hand! Gently mix everything together as if you are massaging them by gently tossing and squeezing until everyone in the skillet is all mingled.
Now the salad is ready to serve.
This is a keeper, y’all!
- 150g (0.3 lb) Japchae noodles (dangmeon)
- 1/2 bunch spinach
- 300g (0.6 lb) mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1 orange, red or yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tsp grape seed oil
- Korean Chili Vinaigrette dressing:
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 -1 Tbsp Korean chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- two pinches freshly ground black pepper, optional
- dash sesame oil, optional
- Blanch spinach and mung bean sprouts together in the boiling water for 5 seconds, rinse them with cold water, squeeze the water out. Set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette dressing with given ingredients.
- Cook noodles according to the package direction, about 6-7 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Cut the noodles if you wish. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in the skillet over medium heat and saute onion, garlic, and pepper for 1-2 minutes until they get slightly wilted. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add all the vegetables and noodles in the skillet. Pour the dressing over and toss with your hand as you gently massage everything to combine.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.