So here I am throwing a simple yet very tasty snack, appetizer, or finger food that you can make easily with leftover rice. You have to use short grain rice, though. You will need the stickiness from the short grain.
Here is my leftover rice cooked with some quinoa seeds. (I like to add quinoa when I cook my rice. Quinoa doesn’t have much flavor so they don’t alter the flavor of rice too much, and I love the texture they add)
Mix rice with vegetables and cheese. I used Italian cheese mix, but any melt-able cheese will work.
UPDATE: I forgot to mention to add some Parmesan cheese in the mixture.
One trick I use when I do deep-frying is that I tilt0ver the pan to the side to make a deep pocket of oil. That way you don’t need to waste too much oil for deep frying. Yes, you can call me “the wise one!” 🙂
Bite into one. You will love the way it is or serve with warm marinara sauce. That would be divine!
Hope you enjoy these rice balls!
It is the summer season again. For me having a gypsy-like life but without the tent to carry along, I am leaving again to look for another adventure in a country I’ve never been to.
In other words, I am moving again. Where? I will let you know when I arrive. Hopefully everything will arrive safely in one piece.
I was told that 1/2 of my belongings are in a random warehouse in Belgium, and the other 1/2 is in US. And my destination this time is not close to neither of the location. I just hope that all my possession comes in one piece without the missing pieces. When I moved to Malaysia last time, my sofa arrived safely but without the cushions, and nobody knew when/where they lost the cushions. Maybe they are still floating somewhere in the pacific ocean? Who knows? Ahhhh, the joy of moving!
Until I see you again in whole, have a great summer, my dears. I will keep up the postings with travel, but recipe posting might take some time.
- 2 cups leftover short grain rice
- 1-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or Italian cheese mix
- 1/4 cups ground Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3 green onion finely chopped
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely minced
- salt and pepper to season
- some flour for coating
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup oil for frying
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute green onion and red chili for 30-60 seconds to wilt seasoning with salt.
- In a mixing bowl combine rice, green onion and chili mixture, cheese. Mix well and from into small balls.
- Roll the rice balls in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Heat oil in s small pan over medium heat until hot. Deep fry the rice balls until the crust gets golden brown. Adjust the heat so the rice balls don't get brown too quickly. Serve hot as is or with marinara sauce.