As much as I love Korean food I love Thai food, too. I have been to Thailand many times over the years and I always enjoyed their cuisines. I love their beautiful tropical beaches, temples, people, and their smiles. It is sad to see their political turmoils which is on going in Thailand these days.
But sometimes these turmoil is unavoidable in order to obtain the democracy and the reformation the country needs. I just hope that it won’t cost too much of its people’s lives.
Going back to the Thai food, I want to make red chicken curry that is so easy to make and quick to put together. Perfect for weeknight’s meal and it is not that spicy either.
Shall we start?
garlic, shallots, ginger(or galangal), lemongrass, and cilantro.
You will also need, fish sauce, chicken stock, Kaffir lime leaves, and brown sugar.
Just chop as fine as you want depends on your mood.
Whatever size you like…
Say “Adios!” to those end parts.
This will help release nice fragrance from the lemongrass.
Today is whatever day!
Dice chicken breast into YOUR bite size, not mine!
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Saute chicken pieces until cooked. Remove from pot.
Add lemongrass and garlic shallot mixture to the pot and saute them for 10 seconds.<
Mix red curry paste with 2tsp water.
Keep stirring for 30 seconds.
Add chicken stock to the pot
and continue to stir.
Add tofu slices,
ginger pieces, kaffir lime leaves,
and tomato slices.
In a bowl mix coconut milk with some water to thin out a little.
Add milk to the pot.
Stir them well.
and fish sauce. Stir and
cover with lid. Cook for 5 more minutes, adjusting the heat.
Sprinkle some chopped cilantro on top when you serve.
Thai Red Chicken Curry (Gaeng Khiao Wan Gai)
- 1 chicken breast half diced into bite size
- 2 T oil divided
- 2 garlic chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 lemongrass end parts removed and smashed to release fragrance
- 2 T red curry paste mixed in 2t water
- 3 T chicken stock
- A handful fried tofu cut in half
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 " ginger piece peeled and sliced
- 1 to mato sliced into wedges
- 200 g 7oz coconut milk mixed in 1/2C water
- 1 Asian eggplant sliced into desired size
- 1 t brown sugar
- 1 t fish sauce
- Some chopped cilantro to garnish
- 1 Heat 1T oil in the sauce pot over medium high heat until hot. Add chicken pieces and saute until done. Remove from pot and set aside.
- 2 Add garlic, shallot, lemongrass into the pot and saute until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add curry paste and another 1T oil, fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken stock and mix well.
- 3 Add tofu, chicken, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, tomato slices, and stir them well. Pour coconut milk into the pot and add eggplants. Season with brown sugar and fish sauce. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes adjusting heat. When done, taste the curry to see if you need more fish sauce. Adjust the amount of fish sauce for your liking.
- Serve hot with rice and some chopped cilantro sprinkled on top