If you like the smell of hot milk, this fluffy hot milk cake will hit the right place. You will love the vanilla scent of this cake, too. The cake itself has a sponge cake-like texture but much easier to make. The most difficult part of the recipe is beating the eggs to a full volume. I definitely recommend to use an electric mixer to do the job. You can, of course, beat them by hand. I am sure that would make your arm muscle much stronger. Great exercise!
This is a quite simple cake and you can dress up with any toppings of your choice. You will find the tutorials on my YouTube Channel. The link is below on this post.
What are the key ingredients?
Hot milk cake doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. All you need is butter, milk, eggs, flour, baking powder, and a good quality vanilla paste (or extract). Because you already have most of the ingredients in your pantry, this hot milk cake is a perfect quarantine recipe during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Best method to heat the milk
Combine butter and milk in a small sauce pan and leave it on a low heat to heat up. Make sure you don’t boil the milk. You want your milk to be scalding hot, not boiling.
What pan should I use to make the cake?
You can use literally any size or shapes of the baking pans. You will need to adjust the baking time accordingly though. I have made it in a 9-inch round pan, a 10-cup bunt pans, loaf pan, etc. This is very forgiving cake and they all baked very nicely.
How do you serve this cake?
You can serve as is with some powdered sugar sprinkled on top. I like to present with fresh berries and whipped cream on the side. You can serve it as humble as it can be or as fancy as you want. Your choice!
Other Cake Recipes
Hot Milk Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- powdered sugar to sprinkle
- fresh berries and whipped cream to garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease and flour 8 mini bunt pans or 1 (10-cup) large bunt pan.
- Put butter and milk in a small sauce pan and leave it over low heat until scalding hot
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Beat eggs on high speed in a electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Gradually add the sugar a little bit at a time. Add the vanilla and mix until the eggs turns to pale yellow, about 4-5 mimutes.
- Add the dry ingredients to the eggs and fold together gently.
- Pour the scalding hot milk to the cake batter and stir them gently.
- Pour the batter to the and and bake in the preheated oven. 25-30 minutes for mini bundt pans or 45-60 minutes for a large bundt pan.
- Rest the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Take out the cake from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of powdered sugar. Garnish with fresh berries and serve with whipped cream if you wish.