Delicious and super easy homemade apple pie without making a pie crust. You only need 15 minutes before you bake. Cinnamon apple filling is baked together with a simple batter made with brown butter. It is super easy and quick way to enjoy warm apple pie in a cinch.
If you like a homemade apple pie but doesn’t like all the work that involves in making homemade pie crust, this easy no-crust apple pie recipe is the best solution for you.
Apple pie is one of my favorite winter dessert. Unfortunately, I don’t get to make this comforting dessert often due to the hassles of making a pie crust.
I provably make an apple pie once a year for the Thanksgiving feast. Apple pie is such a comfort dessert, I should make it more often. Of curse, I can use a store-bought pie crust, but you can’t beat the taste of homemade crust.
This recipe for no-crust apple pie is super easy and quick. You only need about 10-15 minutes of time to assemble the pie before you put it in the hot oven to bake up.
You don’t have to roll out a pie crust anymore. The quick batter made with brown butter will replace the flaky crust of typical apple pie. Brown butter adds nice aroma and flavor to the pie, and I just love how it looks and tastes. It has a texture between a pie crust and a cookie.
How to make brown butter: Put a stick of butter in a pan over medium heat. Let the butter boil up and turn to deep amber golden in color, about 5 minutes. You will need to stir the butter or shake the panngently as it boils. Watch carefully because once the butter turns golden, it burns quickly. Remove the pan from heat and pour the butter to a bowl immediately.
Cinnamon Apple Filling
Peel, core, and slice the apples. Toss them with 2 tbsp of sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Pile the apples in a greased 9-inch pie pan.
No Crust Pie Top (Brown Butter Crust)
Melt the unsalted butter over medium heat and let it brown, but not to burn.
The butter can go golden brown to burnt in seconds, so watch carefully. You will want your butter to be amber golden brown.
Transfer the browned butter into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and mix well.
This will lower the temperature of butter a little. Add the eggs and mix again to incorporate.
Sift the flour over a fine mesh and add to the butter egg mixture. Mix well.
Pour over the apple slices.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top to give a slight crunchiness to the crust.
Bake the pie in the preheated 375˚F oven for 40-50 minutes until you see some cracks on the surface.
I used the convection oven and I think that helps the crack to be more obvious. If your oven is convention or gas, the crack might not show but you will still have flaky crust to enjoy.
Let the pie cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and serve warm.
You gotta have this delicious pie with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. There is nothing like a plate of warm apple pie with cold ice-cream combination that soothes your soul in cold winter days.
This is what my family needed in the middle of freezing winter days. So comforting and delicious!
More Pie Recipes
Easy No-Crust Apple Pie
- 4 medium sized Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, & thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour sifted
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan; set aside.
- Mix apple slices with lemon juice, 2 tablespoon of sugar, and cinnamon; toss well and put them in a prepared pie pan.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and let the butter brown to amber golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the browned butter into a large mixing bowl. Add the 3/4 cup sugar and mix well. The sugar will not dissolve very well and it is okay.
- Add the eggs and stir to combine. Sift the flour in a fine mesh and add to the butter-egg mixture; stir well.
- Pour the batter over the apple slices to cover evenly. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the batter. Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until the crust shows cracks. (Depends on the type of oven, the crack might not show)
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.