Easy Apple Brownies (Apple Blondies)
Apple brownies (aka apple blondies) are a satisfying sweet treat. Get your apple fix with this chewy yet cakey dessert that is chock full of apple and walnut. Spiced with cinnamon, this family friendly apple brownie recipe is a surprisingly great twist on traditional brownies.
I adore desserts made with apples, from soft apple cookies to a tender and moist apple cinnamon bundt cake. But when it comes to simple need to satisfy that 4pm sugar rush, these apple brownies rise to the top of the list, for sure.
What is Apple Brownies?
Apple brownies are an old fashioned apple bar dessert loaded with fresh chopped apples and walnuts (or pecans). They have a look of brownies with crackly top, and they are sliced into a bar shape after baked. They also often called as apple blondies because of their blonde look. Apple brownies are moist and have a good scent of cinnamon and apple flavor, which makes them a perfect dessert for the fall season. They make an easy dessert to carry for parties and family gatherings.
My family loves these apple brownies – or apple blondies, whichever you prefer to call them. As you can tell, they have an irresistible crackly top and the inside crumbs have a cakey texture. Moist and soft, they almost resemble an apple cake, but they have that chewy texture like traditional brownies.
Besides all of that, you will love the nutty walnut and fragrant cinnamon when you bite into a piece. What a taste of autumn! These brownies/blondies make a perfect fall dessert (and winter, too).
This recipe is easy and quick to put together. You only need a few everyday pantry ingredients and 2-3 apples. They make a perfect afternoon snack for children, for family together time, or to satisfy that afternoon craving for something sweet.
Make a batch and you won’t regret it. “An apple a day keeps the doctor away….” What better way to get some apples in your diet?
How to make Apple Brownies
Ingredients you’ll need
- baking apples – I used Granny Smith
- butter – unsalted
- vanilla extract
- walnut (or pecan) – chopped
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease 9×13-inch baking pan and/or line with a parchment paper; set aside. Peel and seed the apples and chop them into small pieces.
In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on a medium speed until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy on high speed, about 2 minutes.
Add the chopped apples and walnut and stir by hand.
Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture into the apple mixture and stir to combine.
Pour the batter into the greased and lined pan, and even out the top with a fork. Bake the brownies in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown. Cool the brownies on a wired rack completely. Cut into bars to your desired size.
You can serve these apple brownies as is. If you like to enjoy it as an indulgent dessert, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce.
It’s best to consume these apple brownies on the day you make them to enjoy the crisp texture on the top. However, they will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. With time, the moisture from the apple pieces will soften the overall texture and your brownies will become chewier, and you will also lose the crackly crisp top.
More Apple Dessert Ideas
If you need an easy and simple sweet indulgence, try my dessert recipes for ideas. Some of my favorite dessert made with apples are;
Easy Apple Brownies (Apple Blondies)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup peeled, cored and chopped apple , Granny Smith or other baking apples
- 1/2 cup walnut, chopped
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease 9×13-inch baking pan and/or line with a parchment paper (optional); set aside.
- In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on a medium speed until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy on high speed, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped apples and walnut (or pecan) and stir by hand.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture into the apple mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased, and lined pan, and even out the top with a fork. Bake the brownies in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Cool the brownies on a wired rack completely. Cut into bars to your desired size.