Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Satisfying chicken and rice casserole is made from scratch with vegetables and mushrooms. It makes a creamy and delicious comfort dinner.
We had quite a bit of snow this past few days. Schools were closed and kids were home. Even my husband was home due to the bad weather.
When the weather goes bad, and eating out is not an option, I need to come-up with something to feed hungry people in my family. They could easily fix their own ham and cheese sandwich, but returning home with frozen body after playing hard in the snow outside, I feel like I better feed them something more soothing and satisfying. What a thoughtful mother and wife I am? Ha ha ha!
So I made this Chicken and Rice Casserole for lunch. With pieces of boned chicken thighs and drumsticks, mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, chicken stock, cream and a few sprigs of fresh thyme (or dried), I was able to make a satisfying one dish meal in a skillet.
Kids loved it, hubby loved it, and I did too.
I have to admit that I sometimes make casseroles with one of those canned soup just because I was too lazy to make from scratch. However making a delicious casserole from scratch is not overly complicated or time consuming. The flavor of this casserole is outstanding; creamy and savory. It can be easily adapted with whatever vegetables you have in your fridge.
I bet casserole is most mom’s favorite dish to cook. Because you don’t need to worry about any side dishes to go with and the clean up is a breeze afterward. How sweet?
How to make Chicken and Rice Casserole
Boned chicken thighs and drumsticks is better option than breasts. Breasts can dry up easily after a long cooking in the oven.
Well, right at this moment the phone rang, and I went to answer…
A satisfying meal made with love.., they better appreciate the cook who made the perfect dish for them.
It seems like this winter is lasting longer than I hoped for. Can’t wait for a beautiful spring.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1-1/4 cup short grain white rice
- 4 bone-in chicken thigh
- 4 drumsticks
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 8 oz pkg button or cremini mushroom
- 1/4 cup white wine , or chicken stock
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy or light cream
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs , or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Rinse the rice in water several times and soak in water for 20 minutes, drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Heat olive oil in a skillet over med-low heat, brown the chicken until golden on both sides, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to another plate and set aside. If there is too much grease in a skillet wipe out with a paper towel.
- In a same skillet saute the mushrooms for 1 minute and splash with wine (or stock) and let it reduced. Transfer the mushroom to another plate as well.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes until slightly soften.
- Add the rice and saute 2 more minutes. Pour the chicken stock and cream, add the thyme and stir. Return the chicken pieces to top and cover the skillet with foil tightly. (if your skillet is nor oven proof, transfer the rice mixture to a casserole pan and top with chicken)
- Bake the casserole for 45 minutes, and serve hot.