Out of all the chocolate chip cookies, these brown butter chocolate chip cookies are perhaps most delectable.
Out of all the chocolate chip cookies, brown butter chocolate chip cookies are perhaps most delectable.
Brown butter is made by cooking unsalted butter long enough to turn the milk solids brown while cooking out any water present in the butter.
Often described as tasting nutty or toasty, it has a deeper, richer, more intense flavor than melted butter.
How to make brown butter
Put cold butter in a light colored pan or skillet over medium heat. A light colored pan helps you to see the color change when the butter has browned.
This is quite important because there are only a few seconds between beautiful brown butter and burnt butter. Swirl the pan as the butter melts.
After the butter has completely melted, continue cooking on medium heat until the butter turns a deep amber color and smells nutty. Immediately remove from heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl.
There will be little bits of milk solids at the bottom of the pan. Do not discard! The toasted milk solids carry a lot of the brown butter flavor.
Other unique ingredients.
Bread flour. I used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour that you find in most cookie recipes. The high protein will yield very chewy texture inside and crispy on the outside. However you need to be careful not to over mix the cookie dough to avoid the texture becoming tough
Lemon. A hint of citrus will cut the gluten forming in the mixing process and help the cookie to be softer
Cream or milk. 1 tbsp of cream or milk will help to cookies to maintain its soft and chewy character inside
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2-1/4 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 1-1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pecan
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside
- To make brown butter, put butter in a light colored pan or skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter swirling occasionally. Butter will start to foam. Whisk occasionally as the butter starts to get darker. When the color turns to a deep amber brown, remove from the heat and pour into a heat proof bowl, scrape all the brown bits on the bottom of pan and put into the bowl as well. Let the brown butter cool.
- Pour the cooled butter into a mixing bowl and add sugars, egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cream and beat until creamy in medium speed.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir well. Add the chocolate chips and pecans. Scoop the dough into 3 tbsp balls. Chill the dough for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Place the dough balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, 2-inch apart, bake them for 11-13 min or until the edges turn slightly gold. Cool in pan for 2 minuted and transfer to a cooling rack.