Happy Mother’s day! I hope all the mothers out there has been given breakfast on the bed to start a day to celebrate. This mother’s day I think of my mother in Korea. On May 5th, my mother called me to wish happy Children’s day. How sweet is that? In Korea May 5th is the “Children’s day” and May 8th is the “Parent’s day”. No matter how old I am, for my mother, I am still a child to her. So today I called her to wish happy Parent’s day.
Here are some photos of my orchid.
Orchids reminds of my mother. She loved Orchids and she always had several pots in the house through out the year.
I am going to make “Blueberry cake” to celebrate this wonderful day. This was the Pre-Mother’s day cake in our house today. I wish my mother was here with me to take a bite on this cake. I know she would love it. My 2 young kids came home from swimming and ate up the 2/3 of it in one seating.
I’ve got this cake recipe from the Simply Recipes. I have made a few times and my family loves it. I tweaked the recipe just a little for my liking.
I like this cake because it is not too sweet and very moist even without any liquid in the recipe. Plus it is easy and quick to put together.
You will need; flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, salt, vanilla, blueberries (prefer fresh), lemon, and powdered sugar for garnish.
Crank up your oven at 350F, or 175C.
You can put parchment paper on the bottom to remove cake from the pan easily.
In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
Grate some zest from your gorgeous lemon,
and squeeze the juice out of it. Set aside.
Shower you berries and drain well. Set aside.
In a mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium high speed until,
looks like this, about 2 minutes. Fluffy is the word!
Add eggs one at at a time. Continue to beat about 2 minutes.
light and creamy is the right word for this?
Add vanilla and…
lemon zest and mix well.
Otherwise your kitchen will look like winter wonderland in no time.
Gradually add the flour mixture.
Beat until smooth. The cake batter is ready now.
Spread the batter on the bottom of the pan. Set a side.
Add lemon juice and 1t flour to berries. Toss well.
Spoon the berry mixtures over the batter.
Pop it in the oven and bake for 50min-1hr.
In fact you should have someone make this cake for you…
My convection oven only takes 45min to do the job.
Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Happy Mother’s day everyone!
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 oz 1 stick butter
- 1 C sugar
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1 t lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 C blueberries rinsed and drained
- 1 t lemon juice
- 1 t flour
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F or 175C. Lightly grease and flour the 9" spring pan or pie pan.
- Combine 1C flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes. Add vanilla and lemon zest. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture, beating until smooth. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Combine the berries with the 1t flour and the lemon juice in a bowl. Spoon the berries over the batter.
- Bake for 45-60minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove form the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully slide a thin knife around the edges of the cake to release it form the pan. Transfer the cake to a platter.
- Dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving.