Apple pear radish salad
“Give me a pear, please.” said the bouncy blonde.
“That will be fifty cents.” said the clerk.
She ate the pear, but was still hungry, so she ordered another. Still hungry after the second pear, she ordered an apple. After eating the apple she was finally full and wanted a drink, but found that she didn’t have enough money left.
“Darn it!” she said to herself, “If I had ordered the apple first I would still have enough money left for that drink!”
Today my friend, Marj, asked me how I maintain so thin… I laughed so hard at her because definitely she has never seen the layers of rice fed meat dangling down from my belly hiding underneath the loose garment. It’s been 10 years since I heard someone asked me that question. I think my body has gone through quite a transition from one shape to another since then.
Just like us…. each of us have different rays of beauty. How wonderful is that?
As I was thinking of our unique body shapes(?), I made apple and pear salad matched with radish and red onion in a simple whole grain mustard dressing to make very refreshing yet elegant enough to serve your guests.
I used a Japanese Ohrin apple(similar to golden delicious), a gala apple, an Asian pear, and a Bartlett pear. I highly recommend to include the Asian pear in this salad. No pear can be compared as juicy, crunchy, and sweet as Asian pears. These Asian pears are widely available in any stores these days.
You will need; olive oil, cider vinegar, brown sugar, whole grain mustard, radish, dill(fresh or dried), red onion, salt, and assorted crunch apples and pears.
Also some salt and pepper to taste, of course!
I love the name “WHOLE GRAIN”!
You can use any radish you like.
My santoku knife is shouting for his shining moment!
Slice them as thin as you like.
Make sure you wash your apples and pears squeaky clean before cutting.
Same goes to apples!
Apple pear radish salad
For the dressing
- 3 T whole grain mustard
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- 6 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T brown sugar or honey
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/8 t pepper
For the salad
- 2 apples, crunchy (Fuji, gala, golden delicious), washed and chilled
- 2 pears, crunchy (Asian pear, Bartlett), washed and chilled
- 1/3 daikon radish sliced, 1/8" thick (about 1 1/2C)
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 3 T fresh dill chopped, or 3t dried
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Quarter the apples and pears, cut off the seeded centers. slice them as thin as you like.
- Peel off the tough outer layer of radish and cut them into thin sliced. (Some radish does not need to be peeled off)
- Combine apples, pears, radish, onion, dill, and the dressing in a mixing bowl. Toss well.
- Serve cold. Can be chilled up to 1hour.
Wonderful! I'm glad that she loved it.
I made this yesterday and it turned out beautifully. My daughter, who decided to become a vegetarian a month ago, almost ate the whole thing.