For the past few years, Korean style taco has been a huge hit in U.S due to the famous Kogi BBQ taco truck which was originated in L.A. I believe many celebrity chefs and food bloggers created their versions since then. Here I present Beyond Kimchee version of Korean Taco.
I was recently working on developing Korean fusion dishes using Gochujang(Korean chili paste) for JayOne, a high quality Korean condiment manufacturing company, and came up with this idea using my Easy Spicy Korean Pork into Taco.
This Spicy Korean Pork Taco is fabulous Korean-Mexican fusion style dish and it is so delicious with Soy Lime Vinaigrette. I seriously recommended you to try this recipe at home. I have a feeling that you gonna love it.
I recommend you to use thinly sliced pork shoulder cut for this recipe. It has some marbling in the meat which keeps the meat moist and tender without being dry.
Combine gochujang (Korean chili paste, Korean chili flakes, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, corn syrup, and sesame oil. Mix well.
Mix the sauce in with the pork slices to incorporate well. Set aside.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and place the meat and the slice onions on top. Let them sizzle first, then…
Chop all the toppings.
Whisk all the vinaigrette ingredients until emulsified.
Now, build your taco kingdom.
Drizzle the vinaigrette and serve immediately.
“This is awesome, mom!”
“You can totally sell this!”
“… maybe you should start a food truck?”
These were the comments from my families and I was momentarily tempted for the idea of a food truck. Maybe you can try out this recipe and tell me if this is worth of selling in a food truck?
- 1 lb (450g) very thinly sliced pork, any cut
- ½ large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoon Korean chili paste
- 2 tablespoon Korean chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger finely minced or ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup, optional
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- corn or flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- handful cilantro, chopped
- Shredded cheese, optional
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl combine chili paste, chili flakes, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and corn syrup, mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl combine pork slices with the sauce, and mix well to coat all the pork slices gets incorporated with the sauce evenly.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet and bring it over medium-high heat. Place pork over the skillet and add the sliced onion on top. When they sizzle, start tossing everything to cook evenly all the way or until the pork is fully cooked and onions are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Assemble your taco with pork and vegetable toppings, drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
- For the soy lime vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients until emulsified. Adjust the seasoning as you wish.
Disclaimer: This recipe was created under the sponsorship of JAYONE FOODS, INC using their products. You will find the same recipe in their website; http://www.jayone.com/WEB/