I grew a variety of herbs this spring through summer and had abundant result with them. I had lots of mint and basil to use up, so I made a very delicious mixed herb pesto with them and pleased with the result.
Mixed herbs, such as mint & basil, make very tasty pesto. I added some toasted pistachio nuts this time and it was fantastic. I served with grilled shrimp and crusty bread. So delicious!
Yields about 1.5 cup pesto
- 1 cup packed mint leaves
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 French baguette, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Put herbs, garlic, pistachio, Parmesan cheese in a food processor and pulse until chopped. Drizzle oilve oil as you pulsing and process until blended, but with a very tiny chunks of nuts remaining.
- Season with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Toast the baguette slices until the edges get browned. Remove from skillet and immediately rub with cut garlic; Set aside.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook the shrimp until they turn pink and cooked through.
- Serve with the pesto and tasted baguette.