Red Bean Rice Cake
This sweet red bean rice cake made with rice flour and condensed milk is a unique dessert with a fusion of traditional Asian flavors and Western style.
I used to be fanatic about anything with red beans and I still am. Most Koreans love red beans in anything, as well.
I love rice mixed with red beans, sweet buns filled with red beans, red bean porridge, and oh, don’t let me forget to mention the famous shaved ice with red beans.
Red beans are common ingredient to use in sweet dishes in many Asian countries but not as popular in the western cuisines. I hardly encountered the sweet or even savory dishes made with red beans.
Dishes made with red beans are lovely and nutritious. So hope these amazing legume would get more spotlight in the culinary world.
I love anything with red beans and it seems like many Koreans do too. Rice mixed with red beans, sweet buns, red bean porridge, and shaved ice with red beans are some of my favorites.
While red beans are commonly used in Asian sweet dishes, they are not as popular in the West. However, dishes made with red beans are not only delicious but also nutritious, and I hope they gain more attention in Western cuisine.
What is Red Bean Rice Cake?
Made with sweet red beans, rice flour, and sweetened condensed milk, this cake offers a unique fusion of traditional Asian flavors and Western style.
Red beans are a common ingredient in many Asian sweets and desserts, and they add a lovely texture and flavor to the rice cake. The rice flour provides a soft and chewy texture, while the condensed milk adds a touch of sweetness and creaminess to the cake.
Not only is red bean rice cake delicious, but it’s also a nutritious dessert. Red beans are a good source of protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients, making this cake a healthier option than many other sweets.
How to make Red Bean Rice Cake
To make red bean rice cake, start by combining the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Mix them well, making sure there are no lumps.
Next, combine the two mixtures and stir until everything is well incorporated. You can use a spoon or spatula to do this quickly.
To make it easier to remove the cake from the pan later, line it with parchment paper before pouring in the batter. If you want, you can dust the cake with powdered sugar for a nice finishing touch.
After baking, the cake will hold its shape but be slightly crumbly when cut. The sweet red beans give it a delicious flavor, and the texture is soft and tender.
Give this recipe a try and enjoy a delicious and unique dessert!
Red Bean Rice Cake
- 2 cup short grain rice four
- 2-1/2 tso baking powder
- 1 18 oz (510g) can sweet red beans
- 1-1/4 cup (300 ml) sweet condensed milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (170˚C)
- In a bowl combine flour and the baking powder. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, mix red beans, condensed milk, eggs, and butter. Add the flour mixture to the red bean mixture and mix well with a spoon or spatula.
- Grease the 9×13 inch pan and/or line with parchment paper. Pour the mixture in the pan and even out the top. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan. Cut into desired size. The cake can stay fresh on the room temperature for 3 days.