Mexican Shredded Beef Tacos
This Mexican shredded beef is made with a can of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. Fork tender and juicy, it makes delicious tacos with tortilla and guacamole.
The May weather in Buenos Aires is nothing but grey and dreary. I feel like I haven’t seen the sun for weeks (Vitamin D supplement is a must in the weather like this). It is beginning of winter season and I ain’t like it, but I gotta live with it.
I roasted a chunk of beef to make Mexican shredded beef tacos. I love pot roasted beef. The tender and moist beef meat falling off the fork with succulent flavor. You can eat as is, or serve as taco or burrito with tortilla and toppings, or make a sandwich with hamburger buns. Whichever way, this Mexican shredded beef surely pleased me and my family.
Beef chuck roast will be a great choice to use in this recipe. Chuck is somewhat tough cut of beef, but braising for a long time over low heat will break down the tough muscle fiber and yield into the tender and moist deliciousness. Cut off any big chunks of visible fat, then all you need to do with this beef is to season with salt and pepper generously.
Then brown the beef all over to sear the surface.
Remove the beef and saute onions and garlic for 1 minute, then splash a little bit of red wine to wilt down.
Return the beef to the pot. Here comes my favorite Mexican condiment; Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. I used La Morena brand. Oh! yeah, I brought several cans of Senõra Morena’s peppers in my suitcase last time I traveled to U.S, because I can’t find her here in Argentina.
Just dump the peppers in to the pot, and add a can of diced tomatoes, too.
I added Ancho chili powder and cayenne pepper to give extra chili factor. Throw a couple of bay leaves and some cilantro on the side, too. Add a little amount of water, about 1/2 cups to give some moisture during the braising. Cover and simmer for 3 hours.
At the and of braising! My kitchen smelled amazing.
Shred the beef with forks. The meat fell off so easily; the sign of tenderness.
You gotta put a few pieces into your moth as you shred. That’s a cook’s pleasure.
I added the tasty gravy left in the pot to the beef.
You will want to make some guacamole to serve with. We are a family with flour tortilla lovers over corn tortilla for tacos but I ran out of it. So I used yellow corn tortilla instead. Shredded Beef and guacamole? It is love, love and looooove!!!!
We had a wonderful home-style Mexican meal and it was finger licking great. This Mexican shredded beef tacos washed out my “May blue” and helped me feel happy again. Foods sometimes do have a healing power. Don’t you think?
Mexican Shredded Beef Tacos
- 2-1/2 lb beef chuck roast
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- a splash of red wine
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 7 oz can chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder or Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 handful cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat a braising pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Season the beef with salt and pepper generously, and brown all around to sear in a pot. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic into the pot and saute for 2 minutes. Splash with red wine and let it reduce.
- Return the beef to the pot. Add the diced tomatoes, chili in adovo sauce, chili power, cayenne pepper, bay leaf, and cilantro. Drizzle water over and cover. Simmer over low heat for 3 hours.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board and shred with forks. Place the shredded beef into a serving bowl and add some gravy left in a pot to the beef, mix well. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with tortilla and other toppings like guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, etc.