Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes
Soft and moist lemon yogurt cupcakes adorned with marshmallow peeps. The simple lemon yogurt glaze brings the perfect tart and sweet balance.
I think I was about 8 years old.
I had an ambitious dream that I would be making lots of money by selling chicken eggs. I am cracking up right now as I write this post but here is the story…
One beautiful spring afternoon, school has just ended and kids were rushing out to the front gate of the school to return home. I noticed a bunch of kids were gathered around a man holding a large box in front of him. I, of course, had to investigate what was going on. There I saw kids holding the cute fluffy yellow spring chicks on their hands! “Peeps, peeps, and peeps!” There were boxful of chicks inside the box. The man was selling these lovely chicks to the kids. He claimed that all these chicks would become hens and lay many eggs everyday. (I didn’t know how to distinguish male or female, and I purely believed what the man promised)
I emptied out all the coins I had in my pocket and that was good enough to buy only one chick! I picked the fluffiest and plumpest chick and took her(?) home very carefully. As I was walking home, I imagined this chick becoming a hen and lay many eggs. And her eggs hatch and become chicks to hens, and they would yield lots of more eggs. I pictured myself surrounded by the cute fluffy chicks and gathering hundreds of eggs from their mother hens. Eggs were expensive when I was growing up, and I dreamed of selling those eggs and become a richest kid in Korea (or in my hometown at least).
Well, the dream lasted only about 48 hours. I did the best I could to take care of the chick to make sure she was safe and fed right. But the chick died two days after I brought her home.
I cried. And I cried even harder when the neighbor lady, who came to visit my mom and saw me crying, told me that my chick was NOT a female. She heard my ambitious plan about this chick, then she checked the bottom. (I guess she knew how to tell the gender) I am not sure I cried because I was sad at the fact that the chick died, or the chick was not meant to be a hen because the chick seller lied to me, or simply because my chance of becoming the richest kid in my hometown had gone out the window.
As I was placing these little marshmallow peeps on top of my Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes with Lemon Yogurt Glaze, the memory of that male spring chicks I had for two days brought me some quiet laugh.
Coming to the recipe, this lemon cupcakes are really top notch. Not only it is so simple to make, it is so tender and moist, and brings the perfect tart and sweet balance. I was going to make butter cream frosting to go with these cupcakes but I am glad that I changed to simple lemon glaze using the leftover yogurt. It enhanced the flavor so perfectly.
How to make Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes
Combine all the dry ingredients.
Cream the butter, sugar, and an egg in the mixer until fluffy.
Add the yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix!
Add the dry ingredients and your batter is ready-yo!
Here are the cupcakes after baked.
Mix all the glaze ingredients and spoon over the cooled cupcakes. Let it flow down! If you prefer thicker icing, just add more powdered sugar.
I don’t like the look of white marshmallow part revealing when you tear them apart, so I just dipped them in the yellow sugar to cover up. Then, let your chicks to sit on top of the cupcakes. You are done!
I like simply decorated cupcakes. I often felt so guilty of taking bites out of a cupcake that looked like a masterpiece. However I can picture these simple lemon cupcakes with lovely peeps nesting on my Easter dessert table.
Ahhhhh…! Spring is finally here. I can almost smell it. Hope you are having a fantastic week so far!
Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes
- 1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, very softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, Greek style preferred
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 10-12 marshmallow peeps for decoration, optional
Lemon Yogurt Glaze
- 1-1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt, Greek style preferred
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare the muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bow, mix sugar, butter, and egg until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and beat well. Stir in the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, about 2/3 full. The recipe will make about 10-12 cupcakes.
- Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- For the glaze, mix all the glaze ingredients well until smooth. Spoon over the cupcakes, and decorate with marshmallow peeps as you like.