Changes can be adaptable. We are capable of that, aren’t we?
Do you want to take a look?
First, take some black beans and soak in the water.
And let them soak in the water for 1 hour as well.
Meanwhile, remove seeds from the dried dates.
I used walnuts, almond, and pine nuts.
after 1 hour of soaking, this will happen… Natural dye from black rice.
Transfer into a rice cooker pot with soaked black beans.
You will need less water than usual since the rices are already soaked.
and a few drops of non flavored oil. Why?
This will give a little sheen to the rice.
Now let your rice cooker* do his mission. My 10 yr old buddy is still going strong…
* I use electric pressure rice cooker which most Koreans use these days. If you use ordinary rice cooker, You will want a little more water.
While waiting get in the mood of Halloween spirit, the pumpkin carving…
Just cut out the top portion.
Scoop out the fibers and seeds.
Now the pumpkin is hallow and almost sleepy…
The rice is ready. All the nuts and beans are floating on top.
So toss with one of those rice spatula thingy – I don’t know what it is called in English…
You need to add the pine nuts at this point to mingle with them.
Put your rice in side of your pumpkin. I used rather a small pumpkin so couldn’t fit all the rice.
Put the lid back on and place in a steamer.
Cover the pot with lid or foil if your lid doesn’t fit like mine.
Crank up the heat and steam for 40 minutes or more depends on the size of your pumpkin.
While waiting, lets make dressing. These are what I used;
Sesame seeds, Korean chili flakes, sesame oil, soy sauce, apple, and green onion.
And a little bit of water, too
Grate your apple, not the i-mac.
Add all the other ingredients and mix well, babe!
Fall Rice in Pumpkin (hobak youngyang-bap)
- 1 1/2 C white short grain rice
- 1/2 C sweet glutenous rice
- 2 Tbsp black rice
- 1/3 cup black bean
- 6-7 dried Korean dates daechoo seeded and sliced
- 1/3 C walnut roughly chopped
- 1/3 C almond roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp canola or grape seed oil
- 2 1/2 C water
- 1-2 whole pumpkin
- 1/2 apple peeled and seeded
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Korean chili flakes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 green onion choppedSoak b
- Soak black bean in the rice for 1 hour. Combine rices and rinse them until the water gets clear, then soak in the water for 1 hour as well. Drain the water and combine rices and beans in the rice cooker.
- Add nuts (except the pine nuts), dates, salt, and oil. Pour 2 1/2 cup water to the pot and let the rice cooker do the cooking.
- Meanwhile cut out the opening on the top of pumpkin. Keep the top.
- Remove the seeds and fiber inside. When the rice is done add the pine nuts and toss well with a spoon.
- Scoop the rice into the pumpkin. Return the pumpkin top to cover the opening.
- Place the pumpkin in the steamer and cover with lid or foil. Steam over medium heat for about 40 minutes depends on the size of your pumpkin.
- When a knife goes into the pumpkin effortlessly it is done. Carefully take out the pumpkin and place on the serving platter. Slice pumpkin into wedges and gather up the rice on top of pumpkin wedges. Drizzle the dressing over if you wish.