These meringue based pecan chocolate chewies are a perfect cure for chocolate craving. They are low fat, gluten-free, and low lactose sweet treat.
Who needs butter to make cookies? These chocolate chewies don’t need any butter or oil but still create crisp on the outside and moist inside texture. They are literally chewy as the name reveals.
I believe these meringue based chocolate cookies were the most popular cookies in a famous bakery in Savannah, Georgia, named “Gottlieb’s”. There are flourless recipe versions for these chocolate chewies. However I prefer with Gottlieb’s recipe, which includes very little amount of flour. They stay fresh longer and chewier.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- egg whites
- powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- pinch salt
Make these chocolate chewies on a dry sunny day. With any meringue based sweets, humidity can affect the outcome and might not bring the crackled look on the surface.
Chocolate Chewies Recipe Instructions
Since these cookies are meringue based, you will need egg whites. Room temperature eggs work the best for making meringue. I love this little orange fish yolk separator. It does the job perfectly!
You can whip up the cookie batter very quickly. You will also love the nutty bites of pecan in the cookie. So nutty and delicious~!
These little cookies bake beautifully leaving irresistible cracks on the top.
Chocolate chewies keep their crisp and chewy texture for 2-3 days and freeze very well, too. Put them in an airtight zip bag and freeze up to 3 months. Bring them to a room temperature to thaw, about 45 minutes.
Having a chocolate craving? These are the perfect cure. So treat yourself with these adorable chewies. They are quite rewarding.
- 3 egg whites
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2 cups pecan, finely chopped
- preheat oven to 350˚F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, flour, vanilla, and salt in an electric mixer; Stir in a low speed until everything is blended.
- Beat at high speed for 1 minute. Stir in pecans.
- Drop heaping tablespoons on a lined cookie sheet, leaving 2-inches apart, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes than transfer to a rack to cook completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container or a zip bag. To freeze, put them in an airtight zip bag and freeze up to 3 months.