An easy yellow cake recipe with chocolate frosting. All homemade from scratch and super easy to make with the pantry ingredients.
I love a simple cake slobbered with chocolate frosting. This 1-2-3-4 yellow cake recipe with chocolate frosting is just a perfect example of that. It is a basic yellow cake recipe but so much better than the boxed cake mix kind.
Although the recipe is all made from scratch, you will fine it is very easy to put together with the everyday ingredients you already have in your pantry. That is to say, this yellow cake recipe is the easy version of vanilla scented butter cake you can make at home without the fuss.
- Using cake flour for the yellow cake will make the cake light and fluffy. Subsequently, you can use all-purpose flour instead. It will give the cake more body.
- If you want your cake to be more moist and tender, I recommend to use buttermilk instead of regular milk. If doing so, add 1 tsp of baking soda to react to the acid in the buttermilk.
- I used a 9×13-inch pan. If you prefer a layered cake, divide the cake batter into 2 of 9-inch round pan. Reduce the baking time accordingly.
Firstly, sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, & salt) all together, and set aside.
If using buttermilk, add 1 tsp of baking soda to the dry ingredients.
Secondly, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
Fold in the dry ingredients and milk alternately and stir well.
I baked mine in a greased 9×13-inch pan and bake it in the preheated 350˚F oven for 35 minutes.
If you like a layered cake, divide the batter into 2 of 9-inch round pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely.
Lastly, to make the chocolate frosting; melt the unsweetened chocolate pieces in a microwave for 90seconds. Make sure to stir it halfway through. Let it cool down.
Cream softened butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and vanilla extract into the mixture; mix well.
Adjust the amount of powdered sugar according to your desired consistency. I used 1-1/2 cup of powdered sugar and it was just right for me.
Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
This cake will last for 3 days in the room temperature. The butter in the cake will solidify a little if the room temperature is slightly chill. Microwave a piece of cake for 10-12 seconds and you will enjoy the soft and moist cake all over again.
If you are storing the cake in the fridge, which will last longer, make sure to let the cake in the room temperature for at least 1 hour before you serve. Then follow the microwave option above.
1-2-3-4 Yellow Cake Recipe with Chocolate Frosting
- 3 cup cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 to 1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour a 9×13-inch pan or two 9-inch round pans; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix well
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk to the butter mixture and stir well.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. If using two 9-inch round pans, bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the cake cool completely. If using 9×13-in pan, you can cool the cake in a pan, If using the two round pan, after cooling in a pan for 10 minutes, turn out the cake to a cooling rack and cool completely.
For the chocolate frosting
- Put unsweetened chocolate pieces in a small microwave-safe mixing bowl and microwave for 90 seconds, stirring halfway through. Stir the chocolate well until you melt them completely. Set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla extract and continue to beat. Adjust the amount of powdered sugar until your get the desired consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cake and serve. The leftover cake can last in the room temperature for 3 days or chill in the fridge up to a week.